Handy--Andy
Handy--Andy, Technical
Experience:  Helpdesk
56210710

My printer says it is connected but my computer cannot find

Customer Question

My printer says it is connected but my computer cannot find it.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for asking your question. My name is Bernie and I will be your expert today.

Are you trying to install this printer so that you can print to it wirelessly?

If so, do you have a wireless network setup already, and do you know the name of it (SSID) and password?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already have a wireless network that both the printer and the computer are connected to. This printer was working fine at my old house on that wireless network but i just moved and not it wont work. And yes i want to print wirelessly. The printer didnt even come with a wire to use with the computer.
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
Thanks - you're going to need to set this up again, first, make sure your printer is connected, use the steps below (click to view them):

Then, just reinstall the cd that came with the printer to the computer, and make sure to choose the recommendation installation, and when prompted to choose a connection type, select Wireless network connection (802.11). Then the computer should install the printer and recognize it on the network just fine. Please keep me updated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cant find the install cd that came with it.
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
No problem, are you using Windows XP, Vista, or 7? (If using Vista or 7, please also click the Windows Start button, then right click Computer and select properties. Under system type does it say 32 or 64 bit)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im on a MAC
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
You can download and install the driver for your system from this page, click HERE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already did this. The printer did not show up on the list. i went ahead with the install but it still didnt show up when i got to the setup step.
Expert:  Bernie replied 5 years ago.
I apologize, at this point I need to opt out and get you to a printer + Mac expert.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, so what do i do now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Umm, hello! im still screwed over here. can you or someone please help me!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
my computer cannot find my printer on my wireless network. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer application and still nothing. The install application cannot find my printer but my printer says that it is connected to the wireless network. I am using a mac.
Expert:  Handy--Andy replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is Andy
I will deal with your issue as best as I can.
JustAnswer is the largest paid online Expert answers marketplace

you have done everything correctly.
Please restart your mac and also the printer.
Once restarted your mac will auto detect the printer.

Ps just to double check, at your previous address was the printer fixed to a static Ip address?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i did all of the things you said and i still have no printer! and i know nothing about the kind of IP address i had or do have.
MMMMmmm just wondering if this is the issue.
At your previous address was the printer in a pc or mac environment?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i had a mac but other people in the house might have had PCs i cant remember exactly what computer each of my roommates had.
I went under printers in system preferences and tried to find the printer with the IP address that was on the Wireless Networking Print out that the printer did after it connected the wireless network. I actually have printed that out 3 times after reconnecting it 3 times. Didnt find it.
Its me v. mac and i am pretty sure this mac is winning. One of us might go flying against a wall soon though.
Ok i think you are on a different range to the printer.
Give me 5 while i try to find how to change the address on the printer and also to make sure bonjour is on.
While im doing that

heck this out!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02018708&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4023246&tmp_track_link=ot_search
Found it

On the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Restore Network Defualts. Then run the Wireless Setup Wizard from the same Network menu.

That should do it

All the best
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
might you mean to say Settings > Tools > Restore Factory Defaults ?

cause that is the closest thing i see to what you are talking about
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have done both the things on that list
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It doesnt f**king work!!!!!!
You know what
Buy a usb cable!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i wasnt swearing at you. just near you. sorry. thanks for trying to help.
:@)

I was only joking, but seriously if its causing you that much headache.
get a usb cable.
I will save you money in the long run, as throwing it at a wall is quite expensive.

Ps do you want me to pass this question over to a mac expert?

All the best
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Haha! The last guy said the same thing about the Mac expert. I'm going to sell it for cheap and get a new printer. I need one with a fax anyway. Thanks again for yr help.
Your very welcome.
All the best

Ps please click accept if you think I have been of any use???