PCDrMiller
PCDrMiller, Technician
Experience:  IT Specialist, Print Server Administrator, MFP expert
61194327

How do I clean HP Officejet 6000 series printer printhead?

Customer Question

For a HP Officejet 6000 series printer, how do I clean the print head? My black ink cartridge just quit printing. I do believe that there is ink in the cartridge since I printed just the other day with no problem.
Category: Printers
Expert:  PCDrMiller replied 5 years ago.

PCDrMiller :

On your printer, do you see a tools button, sometimes looks like a wrench?

JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

No, I am afraid not.

PCDrMiller :

What version of windows are you running?

JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

Windows 7. By the way the color print heads all work. Also the out of ink indicator is not activated.

PCDrMiller :

If you click on start -> control panel -> view devices and printers. Click on your printer and choose printing preferences

Then do you have a services tab?

JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

OK, I am there and I have it set at Fast Eco Printing Black Ink Only.

PCDrMiller :

Do you see a services tab across the top? On the right side

JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

No, only Features and Advanced

PCDrMiller :

Ok, I found another method. Press and hold the power button, while holding, press cancel 2 times, then press resume one time, then release the power button

JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

I have a power button in the printer and only three others form feed, a red X and Wireless. The red X may be the cancel but what would resume be?

PCDrMiller :

Wow.. They don't make this easy, huh

JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

No, I am afraid not.

PCDrMiller :

Lets go back again to the computer method.. On the features tab, do you see printer services?

JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

Not on the features or the advanced tab.

PCDrMiller :

Do you have the HP solution center installed?

JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

No, I do not. Is it available from HP?

PCDrMiller :

Yes, you should be able to download it, let me find you a link.
JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

When I went to Windows 7 and reinstalled the printer my CD with the solution center on it would not install correctly. I hope the new download will work

There should be a printer services under the features tab, perhaps that didn't load since solution center failed

You sure you don't have a power button, then resume button, cancel, and wireless all in a row on the printer?

JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

I assume that this is the correct file to download from that link

PCDrMiller :

Yes, that is the full feature software and drivers. Resume has a picture of a sheet of paper and an arrow?

JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

Yes, that is the form feed. The full feature will be here in 2 more min.

PCDrMiller :

Ok, that is the button I was referring to. Try holding power, press cancel twice and then form feed once, then release power. You must have a fast connection, that is a large file.

JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

OK, got some activity this time. Sure made a lot of noise. I will try to print a test page now. Nothing but the color rectangles at the bottom of the page. No black ink printing

File is here. I will run it now if you want to wait. OK?

PCDrMiller :

Sure, you can go ahead and run the install.. That will only provide another way of doing what we just did though. Do you have another black cartridge by chance?

JACUSTOMER-zyj12mjj- :

Afraid not.

PCDrMiller :

Replacing the black cartridge might be necessary if the printhead cleaning doesn't help.