John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

What to do about Brother MFC-9440CN drum error?

Customer Question

Brother MFC-9440CN Drum Error "Slide the Green tab on each of the 4 color units. See manual."

I have followed instructions and air blown the 4 drum holders and corona wire. The 3 color drums were replaced recently Menu: Machine Info/Parts Info/Drum says 26% left.

Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I am Engineer John Cappucci, welcome to JustAnswer.
Are you using genuine Brother cartridges or generic / refilled ones?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
100% genuine
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

That's weird. Have you tried sliding the green tabs already?

Also, please unplug the printer from the electric outlet, then remove all the cartridges, wait 10 minutes, turn it on, then insert the cartridges again.

Does it work?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Nope. One blog said there was a "reset" option on the Parts Info menu but there isn't on mine.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have done all of this a number of times - these diagrams are in my manual.

I have been through the blogs and tried a number of suggestions.

I will pay $50 to solve this problem otherwise I will buy another printer - it is too bad because the MFC-9440 it better than my HP MFC.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Brother Support suggested I clean the electrodes with a soft cloth and it worked

The error message is gone!

Thanks for your effort

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

That's great! but you said you already followed the instructions for the corona wire, that's why I didn't ask that.
Anyway, I am glad it is working now! Have a great weekend! Laughing