Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

How to I fix error code 5010 on my printer. Model MP600

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Printers
9/21/2011
Technician: Bernie, Printer Technician replied 6 years ago
Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Welcome to JustAnswer and thanks for asking your question.

This means that there is an issue with the purge unit inside the Canon printer. If you're in warranty, just send it into Canon as this repair is fully covered. If not, please take these steps:

1. Open the printer from the top, and inside what for the carriage to move over to the center. Now go ahead and remove the power.

2. Look in the space to the right where the carriage was and you should see the purge unit. There will be two ink pads there, and plastic wiper blades.

3. Wearing rubber gloves, try to move the wiper blades very gently forward to make sure they have not become stuck, then let them go back (it's all spring action, they wipe the bottom of the cartridges when the carraige is parked). Do not force anything, if you notice any sticky ink residue that is preventing the smooth movement of this part, get a paper towel dampened with hot water and blot these parts to loosen/clean. Clean all around the top of the purge unit as well.

You can see this picture for clarification:
graphic

4. Next, very gently (and slightly) press down on the ink pads and see if you can pop it back into place, about 1/4 of an inch.

5. Finally, make sure that there is no paper jam crumpled around the purge unit, very gently remove anything that you might see if you do. Pulling too hard on anything could damage the printer gears. After you're done, plug in the printer and close the top, and see if the error is gone now. If not, it will need to be repaired, but to be honest it will be cheaper to buy a new printer.
The carriage doesn't move when I open the printer
Turn off the printer and try to move the cartridge over very gently with your fingers. However, don't force it too hard.

If you spot a thin plastic tape behind the rail, gently wipe along it with a clean cloth. You can also lubricate the rail with silicon oil, but use just a tiny amount along it.
The carriage still won't move. I cleaned the ribbon & got some silicon oil and oiled the rail.
If it won't budge, and/or continues to stay seated when it should move over automatically, then there is a jam on the carriage rail.

I would not force it, as it can damage the rail and internal gears of the printer - please have it serviced, all you need for error 5010 is to have the ink absorber cleaned or replaced, and Canon can unjam the carriage for you.

If the warranty is out, it may be more cost effective to buy a new printer, but you may certainly call Canon at 1-800-652-2666 first to get a quote to make a final decision.
Thank you for your advice.
You're very welcome -

Don't forget to press Accept Answer so I am paid for providing you with an answer.

Thanks,
Bernie
Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician
Bernie
Bernie
Bernie, Printer Technician