Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

HP officejet 6500 black ink print problems. I have used HP

Customer Question
printers for years and they...
HP officejet 6500 black ink print problems. I have used HP printers for years and they have worked great. But this 6500 is real pain. I have had it for several months and about 5 or 6 different times the black mode stops printing. Never had a problem with the colored ink modes. I have always used only HP inks. About two weeks ago the black ink mode stop working again and I went through the HP cleaning step 1, did notwork, went through step 2, did not work. I repeated step 1 and 2 a 2nd time and the black ink started working great for about 2 weeks. About 3 days ago I printed several pages and the next day the black mode stopped printing again. I did step 1 and 2 cleaning --Nothing. The black ink level indicator showes well over 1/2 full. Help!! If it cannot be fixed I see 2 possible choices, get out my old HP or change brand of printer!!!!

XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Printers
9/20/2011
Technician: Robert Preston, Technician replied 6 years ago
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician

Robert Preston :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting you with your problem today.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water to thoroughly clean the print head and each ink cartridge.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Thanks and please click the green ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Thanks,
Rob

Customer:

Your instruction for the HP 6500 seem inadequate because of the complication of the printer head system. Your instruction seem better suited to the HP Deskjet 460 Series or the HP psc 2200 Series because the print jets are part of the ink cartage. The cartages of the HP 6500 simply have an orfice that appears to have foam inside of it and the foam comes in contact with a fine screen of the removable print head. The removable print head appears to have two different planes that ink is discharged from, a horizonal plane on the flat underside and a vertical plane that seems to mate up with a parallel part of the horizonal traveling carirage that does not seem to be removable. The parallel part of the horizonal traveling carriage had ink on it. It had what appeared to be orifices and I do not know were the exited. Not encouraging. It does not seem proper to apply cotton swab with hot water to the foam orifice of the HP 920 XL cartage. By my count there are at least 5 different surfaces that had black ink on them. Your instructions seem inadequate relative to the complexity of the printer head assembly of parts and ink surfaces.

Robert Preston :

It's the same concept regardless. You clean the parts the exact same way.

Robert Preston :

There are thousands of different inkjet models, but the concept remains the same.

Customer:

Do I or not apply hot water with a cotton swab to the 920 XL ink cartage orifice, 6/10 inch dia., with a large foam center or not. Does seem reasonable to do in my mind. I did all except hot wate

Customer:

Does your instruction mean that I should apply hot water with a cotton swab to HP 920 XL ink cartage orifice, 6/10 of inch diameter with a foam pad. It is not clear to me and I am resisitant to do so. I have applied hot water cotton swabs to all the other 4 surfaces till clean. Let the parts dry and ran a print test. The colors as before printed fine. But the black caratage, over half full, failed to do any printing.

Robert Preston :

Then clean the black cartridge and the black part of the printhead thoroughly

Robert Preston :

And I'm confused why you thought my instructions would better apply to the DJ 460 or PSC2200

Robert Preston :

My instructions are about cleaning the actual printhead itself, not the cartridges.

Robert Preston :

So my instructions would be less applicable to those two models.

Customer:

I had black ink on 5 different surfaces, 3 horizontal and 2 vertical, it looked like 2 print heads.

Customer:

I had cleaned all the 4 black surfaces execpt the foam orifice in the black cartage -- no print

Customer:

I cleaned the foam orifice in the black cartage till it went light gray, It is 1/2 full -- no print

Customer:

new question -- is the HP Officejet 6500 a poor quality printer with print problems.. My previous HP printers never gave me problems.

Robert Preston :

Well, I do get a lot of service issues with that particular printer, but these days most inkjet printers are fairly poor.

Customer:

Well lets see if we can wrap this up. As I see the printer ink problem, it is a lot like a leak in one's roof , you can wipe the water off the floor but that does not solve the core problem. So wiping the ink surfaces clean does not solve the core problem of why the ink was in places that it should not have been.

Customer:

When i hit 'accept', how can I be sure that the $28 will be my only charge from you and your organization .

Customer:

I was uncomfortable with some of your organization earlier windows, when I tried to uncheck certain items the system was fighting me. So how can you assure that my only charge from your organization will be $28 to my credit card account when I hit 'Accept'.

Robert Preston :

Hi

Robert Preston :

After accepting, I will put in a note to customer service to make sure you aren't subscribed.

Robert Preston :

And that will be the only charge.

Customer:

Thanks for your time. I know I was a pain.

Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Robert Preston
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician