Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I just bought an Epson Workforce 840. I am having trouble…

I just bought an Epson...
I just bought an Epson Workforce 840. I am having trouble faxing to numbers that start with 800 or 817 or some variation. Every other fax number connects just fine. What happens is I hear the fax sound then silence. The message I receive is "A communication error has occurred during the fax transmission." What can I do to fix this problem? Thank you.
8/6/2011
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Communication errors happen when sending a fax from your Epson Workforce to 8XX numbers, if I understand you correctly.

Please tell me how you dial the numbers in question, exactly..... and also inform me what type of phone line service you have (whether it is digital phone or VoIP or MagicJack, or on the other hand a 'landline' or POTS phone line) ?
I am dialing from the computer touch screen. I have a landline with a special ring for my fax and a separate number for my fax.
I understand you to say that you dial from the computer screen not from the printer's controls or buttons - and that you have one line, with Distinctive Ring service configured and present on it.

What I meant to ask was, when you dial for instance 800-OKCANON, do you dial literally
8-0-0-[etc],
or do you dial
1-8-0-0-[etc]
?
I dial 1-8-0-0-then the rest of the number.
If you were using Vonage, this is a problem that has been discussed:

http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic10770.html

QWest seems to be your phone service provider... correct me if I'm wrong. Is it standard 'landline' service, or is it some form of 'digital' phone service i.e. through a 'box' and probably through your internet access, rather than through a phone jack on the wall - ?
It is connected through the internet qwest box .
Some digital phone systems have problems with 800 or 8XX numbers. That's about all I can say here with certainty... and you do have a digital-style phone service by the sound of it.

Here's a possible way out of the problem: try calling one of the 800 numbers on this page (which is a page for phone problems on Qwest's own website!):

http://www.qwest.com/troubleshooting/phone/

Please note that this page also has a sort of online guide - which doesn't seem to mention your 800-number problem, but which, it says, 'might save you repair charges for a visit by a Qwest technician'... you might want to try to get through it and see if it suggests anything helpful ?

Since the problem is almost certainly one within the Qwest switching system, I have nothing else to offer - it is, so to speak, their problem. But I hope you don't have to get a service visit and other extra-charges sort of things, just to get it resolved.

I have an idea - since you don't report having any problem with 800-number VOICE calls, just with every other fax call or so, to an 8XX number... maybe you need to set your fax's transmission/reception speed slower, or turn off ECM (Error Correction Mode.)
On your particular model, the Workforce 840 by Epson, the ECM and 'V.34' mode are recommended to be set to Off, on this support page:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQ&oid=168363&prodoid=63087906&foid=178849&cat=30961&subcat=137049
and this is done as follows:

On your Epson printer, press the

graphic

key if necessary, then select SETUP.
Then press the < or > keys to select FAX SETTINGS.
Select COMMUNICATION.
This area of the settings shows up like this:

graphic

and note that both ECM and V.34 are shown here. You need to set both of them to Off, if they have not been so set already.
Settings V.34 to Off lowers your fax transmission speed to less than 1/2 of what it is if it is On. Lowering speed of faxing, and setting ECM to off, are the two standard things to try if you're having trouble faxing via digital line.

Press OK when you have adjusted those two settings properly. Then try faxing again and see if (despite being slower) it saves you time in redialings and hangups and such.

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.)
- Favorable feedback is appreciated.
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech