Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Brother HL 2240 toner light stays on

Customer Question
HL 2240, New Toner cartridge...

HL 2240, New Toner cartridge, toner light stays on

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Printers
5/26/2011
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 6 years ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Is your replacement cartridge genuine Brother-made, and not a remanufactured or recycled or refilled cartridge? (You will find odd problems - and problems not so odd like toner leakage - from off-brand or remanufactured supplies/ink.)

( You show as having made a deposit of $16 US for the value of this question. I would like to reassure you that it has not yet been finally collected, which is only done when you signify that you are satisfied with the Answer you have gotten. )

What is the status of the Toner light, is it steady-on, or is it flashing on and off?

What is the status of the other lights on the printer, similarly? (specifically the Ready and the Error LED lights.)
Off brand, I've used many times with my older printer also a Brother.
toner light is steady - on all other lights are off
Thanks for the info on your problem's circumstances.

I suggest this

Quickly press the GO button on your printer, seven (7) times.
The LEDs should flash briefly twice and then the Ready light should flash briefly.

Once you have done that... is the Ready LED on or off at that point?
The ready and toner light are on...

The toner light being on indicates the end of the toner cartridge's life has been reached.

The Ready light indicates that you can temporarily continue printing with the current toner cartridge.

I would recommend that you buy Brother - OEM - made cartridges after this, if you wish to avoid further problems with unrecognized new cartridges.

What Brother says about the mode you will be printing in at this point is the following:

" We cannot guarantee continual optimum print quality. In order to maintain consistent optimum print quality, we recommend you install a new, out of the box, genuine Brother TN420 or TN450 toner cartridge to clear the error and continue printing. Do NOT install a TN starter cartridge or previously used or installed toner cartridge from another machine. Our toner cartridges are manufactured with a reset lever that moves when installed into the machine. The movement of the lever is what notifies the machine a new cartridge has been installed and mechanically triggers the machine to reset the toner life end indicator. "

(Quoted from: http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solution.aspx?FAQID=200000028991&Sympt=The+Toner+LED+is+on+steady.+What+can+I+do%3f&Model=1750&ProductGroup=1&Keyword=toner%20light&ProductID=HL2240 )

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech