Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My Cannon MX 330 will not scan documents and save them as a

My Cannon MX 330 will not scan documents and save them as a pdf on my computer ( Dell Inspiron 1525 running windows vista). I have no desk top icon for this printer either.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 years ago.
Picasa refers to software of that name.

You might be able to find those scanned documents via the Picasa program system. But if you don't have Picasa installed on your system, then that's not possible.

Anyway, having no desktop icon for your printer is not very severe. What is important is that you have scanning software to use that can produce and store a PDF file. Check on whether you have these:

Start - Control Panel - Printers, locate your printer's icon here - is it present? that's all you need there.

Start - [All] Programs - Canon Utilities - MP Navigator EX
...if Navigator EX is there, you have the software needed to scan to PDF (which cannot be done from a button on the printer; the scan must be mediated by software, and the storing to PDF also.)

When you start Navigator EX, you need to be in one-click mode to scan to PDF.... you will see a PDF icon on the one-click mode window of Navigator EX, like this:
graphic

For further instructions on how to use MP Navigator EX to scan to a PDF file, just go to this page:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx330#ServiceAndSupport
and enter 'scan to PDF'
in the search box, then click the Search button next to the search box.

In the results of that search, click on 'how do I scan with Navigator EX?', and you'll get two links, one that says 'how to scan with Windows', and click on that one.
That will give you a long well-illustrated page with instructions on how to do what you're looking to do. It's easy enough.

Let me know if you don't have an icon for your printer driver in the Printers list in Control Panel - or if you don't have MP Navigator EX on your machine. There are ways around those difficulties, and I can instruct you in them.

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.)
- Favorable feedback is appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello Russell,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I do have an icon for the printer.

However, I do not have Cannon Utilities or MP Navigator EX listed in All Programs. I have Cannon MX 330 listed, but the only program under it is MP Drivers uninstaller.

Joe

OK, thanks for the information, you evidently have the printer driver and nothing else for its usage.... and I think your situation has a remedy that will enable you to use the scanner nicely (and save to PDF too):

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx330#DriversAndSoftware

... click on this link, which ought to open automatically in a new window, and in that page, click once on the red down arrow next to 'Select OS', and select from the choices that open,
Windows Vista
and the downloads for your printer will display.
At the bottom of the list of downloads, is two entries, both for the same version of MP Navigator EX. That's what you need to control your scanning and arrange saves to PDF. As for why there are two different downloads and what the difference is between them, there is none discernible. Just choose one of the two at random and you won't need the other one.
Download it, then locate the downloaded file and double-click on it. Get it installed, reboot your system, and you ought to be able to use MP Navigator EX to scan to PDF thereafter (in one-touch mode - the smaller simpler-looking mode - one of the icons of MP Navigator EX is 'PDF', which you choose to do such scans to PDF.)

I don't think you'll need any of the other downloads, since you evidently have the driver already. Solution Menu wouldn't hurt and might help sometimes, and My Printer could very doubtfully be useful sometimes to someone also - the others are so much rubbish mostly. (Unless you want to print photos maybe.... there's Easy Photo-Print for that.)

- Favorable feedback is appreciated.