Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

MY HP PHOTOSMART C4599 PRINTER/SCANNER WILL NOT SCAN. WHAT

Customer Question
MY HP PHOTOSMART C4599 PRINTER/SCANNER...
MY HP PHOTOSMART C4599 PRINTER/SCANNER WILL NOT SCAN. WHAT CAN I DO.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Printers
2/16/2011
Technician: bbl242003, Engineer replied 6 years ago
bbl242003
bbl242003, Engineer
Hello welcome to Justanswer, what error/code are you receiving on the display?
The scanner function does not work... It will neither scan a document nor scan to e-mail or other sites.Is this enough? The scanner does not seem to be talking to the Computer. However, the printing function works, when it is instructed from Office 2008 docs. or e-mail directly. This is now urgent.
Solution 1

: Install the HP Photosmart Software
Solution: Insert the HP Photosmart installation CD and install the software.
For more information, see the Start Here guide.
Cause: The HP Photosmart software might not have been installed.
If this did not solve the issue, try the next solution.

Solution 2

: Start the HP Photosmart Software
Solution: Start the software you installed with the product and try scanning again.
Cause: The HP Photosmart Software was installed, but was not running.
Scan fails because of insufficient computer memory
Solution: Close all programs that are not in use. This includes programs that run
in the background, such as screen savers and virus checkers. If you turn off your virus
checker, remember to turn it back on after you finish your scan.

SOLUTION 3

If this does not work, it might help to restart your computer. Some programs do not
release memory when you close them. Restarting your computer will clear the
memory.
If this problem occurs frequently, or if you encounter memory problems while using
other programs, you might need to add more memory to your computer. See the user
guide that came with your computer for more information.
Cause: Too many programs were running on your computer.
Scanned image is blank
Solution: Load your original print side down on the right front corner of the glass.
Cause: The original was placed incorrectly on the glass.

CAN NOT SCAN TO EMAIL?

Cannot attach files
SELECT A SUPPORTED FILE TYPE (JPEG OR PDF)
MAKE SURE THE FILE SIZE IS NOT TOO LARGE
Please do not forget to ACCEPT this answer so that I may continue assisting and answering future customers. PLEASE continue to ask me questions if you have not reached resolution. I aim for 100 percent customer satisfaction in hope that you will return again for more expert assistance from a verified justanswer expert! I believe in positive feedback from all my clients! If your unhappy, continue to ask me questions until we find satisfaction in our client/expert relationship. If you feel that I have done everything feasible to solve your issue, feel free to provide a bonus!

I recently installed OS.10.6.6. Snow Leopard.. Will that make a difference. Do I uninstall the existing softward before I try with the original softward, which I note is marked OS X v10,4 v.10.5
Yes, uninstall the old software first (Even thou HP claims that it will automatically upgrade which it seldom does!). Ensure that the software you choose to install is OSX compatible.

THE answer to your next question regarding OSX

Mac OS X 10.6 includes the latest HP printer drivers, scan software, fax drivers (where applicable), and utility. You do not need to reinstall or download any HP software for full print, scan, fax, and utility functionality.

Install the printer driver
To install the printer driver available in Mac OS X 10.6, simply connect the USB cable to the printer and to the computer. The print queue will automatically be created. If you do not see your printer in the Printer pop-up menu after connecting it, use the following steps to manually add the printer.

From the Dock, click System Preferences , and then click Print & Fax .
Click the Plus icon ( ) in the lower left corner of the window to add the product to the available printers.

NOTE: To access a locked window, click the lock icon on the bottom of the window to identify the user.

Select your printer, and then click Add to create a new print queue.
NOTE: If you are upgrading your Mac OS using the Snow Leopard DVD, the install process should automatically recreate your previous HP printer queues using the latest HP drivers included in Snow Leopard.

SCANNING UTILITY ASSISTANCE EXTENDED

New with Snow Leopard, the Scanning interface to these HP Inkjet All-in-One devices is now built into Snow Leopard and supported with the Apple Image Capture application. There are three ways to perform scanning from your HP All-in-One:

Image Capture program
System Preferences > Print & Fax
Important: After you open the scan interface, it is important to select the correct mode (Flatbed or Document Feeder ) for the source of the scan image. The default mode is Document Feeder . If you want to scan from the glass flatbed of the printer, you must manually select Flatbed as the source.

For more information about Scanning and Image Capture, open the Help menu from Mac OS X 10.6 and type in your question.

Edited by bbl242003 on 2/16/2011 at 7:37 PM EST
Sorry for delay in answering. Do I understand correctly that I do not need separate installation disck for the HP Photosmart C4599 printer, that it is built into the Snow Leopard installation 10.6 disc?? Not clear to me.
Hello welcome to justanswer, "When you finish reading this solution please scroll to the bottom part of this email to read about rewarding the expert with the accepted answer"

To provide the quickest and highest quality answer, I would recommend that you install the software located at the following link (INSTEAD of us trying to determine if you have the correct CD, Which based on the information, it does not appear you do)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/software category?os=219&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3757826

I selected all the options that you need for snow leopard OS, all you need to do is navigate to the above link, and scroll down until you see the list that is identical to what I posted below. Then select the + sign, select download, keep in mind that you will be DOWNLOADING DRIVERS AND FIRMWARE as HP will charge an arm and leg for cd delivery.

Step two: Select a download

Driver (?4)

CD-ROM order page (?1)

Firmware (?1)

To install the drivers, and if you experience ISSUE WITH INSTALLATION OF THEM, follow the below solution to navigate you:

If your installation stalled towards the end of the process, such as 96% or step 3 of 4 proceed:

Solution one:

Restart the computer

Follow these steps to restart your computer.

Close all open applications, such as Safari, Word, or iTunes:

Click the name of the application ( ) on the menu

bar, next to the Apple menu icon ( ) on the upper-left corner of your

computer screen.

Click Quit at the bottom of the pop-up menu.

Repeat these steps for each open application.

Click the Apple menu icon ( ), and then click Shut Down on the pop-up

menu.

Click Shut Down in the pop-up menu, or just wait for the computer to

automatically shut down.

Once the computer is off, press the Power button to turn on the

computer.

Solution two: Perform a power reset

Follow these steps to reset the HP product. A power reset drains the

power from the product and returns it to the same settings after

restarting. A power reset is a common troubleshooting step, and can be

performed for conditions similar to an installation stall.

Press the Power button ( ) to turn off the product.

NOTE: The product might not turn off after pressing the Power

button. Continue to the next step regardless.

Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

Unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet.

Wait 30 seconds.

Replug the power cord into the electrical outlet.

Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.

YOUR FINISHED

Edited by bbl242003 on 2/17/2011 at 4:26 PM EST
All right. I guess there are vocabulary differences and cultural interpretations. Anyway, thank you.
I shall go ahead with what you said. The proof of the pudding....etc.

Please do not forget to ACCEPT this answer so that I may continue assisting and answering future customers. PLEASE continue to ask me questions if you have not reached resolution. I aim for 100 percent customer satisfaction in hope that you will return again for more expert assistance from a verified justanswer expert! I believe in positive feedback from all my clients! If your unhappy, continue to ask me questions until we find satisfaction in our client/expert relationship. If you feel that I have done everything feasible to solve your issue, feel free to provide a bonus! Thank you for trusting justanswer to provide you with everyday expert solutions!We hope you will return again soon!
bbl242003
bbl242003, Engineer
bbl242003
bbl242003
bbl242003, Engineer