Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Brother MFC 8550 and a wide band of black prints on…

Customer Question
I have a Brother MFC...
I have a Brother MFC 8550 and a wide band of black prints on copies. What do I do?
I also have old Brother MFC 8220 and 8550 that I need to clear the memory? Would you please tell me the steps.
Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Printers
2/11/2011
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 7 years ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Just to check - is your machine the MFC 8500:

graphic

-?

It's possible that your scanner parts (on the MFC 8500) are either dirty (clean them) or defective (have the machine fixed, or do without the copy and scanning functions).

Check for dirt and clean the scanner parts as follows:
http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solution.aspx?FAQID=200000010235&Sympt=How+do+I+clear+black+vertical+lines+that+appear+on+the+faxes+I+send+and+copies+I+make%3f&Model=171&ProductGroup=5&Keyword=line%20on%20copies&ProductID=MFC8500

As for the other 2 Brother machines - are they faxes, or all-in-one printers ? or just plain printing printer machines? (I could look it up, but asking you saves time - esp. since your model #s may not be accurate, judging by the '8550' - which does not exist as a Brother-made machine model #. It seems....)
If they are faxes, then clearing their memory would amount to making sure there's not phone # data or call logs left in them, before selling or otherwise disposing of them.

(Incidentally, in case you are simply getting rid of them, the options for recycling them - after they are cleared of all your data - are fairly good. (HP and Canon and several other co.s, admittedly, are better about recycling policy than Brother....) Given that Brother offers no such options as HP and Canon etc. do, you could offer them for free, at the curb, on craigslist.com or freecycle.org - in the appropriate branch of either, for your locality or city/area.
On craigslist.com, you would post such a notice in the 'for sale' category (in your area's section of the site), the 'free' sub-category.

But tell me what type those 2 machines you are getting rid of are, and I will give you instructions on how to clear out their 'memory'.

The machines are 8220 and 8500. sorry about that and they are fax, copy, etc. all in one machines. Yes, I want to clear all memory and phone numbers and dispose of the machines. Thank you for getting the step by step procedure. I am not sure, but I think the procedures will be different for each machine.

I am hopeful that you can answer this question today.

For the MFC-8220:
- to reset and clear the print server settings (nothing much there, but some things):
http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solution.aspx?FAQID=200000011200&Sympt=How+do+I+factory+reset+the+print+server%3f&Model=173&ProductGroup=5&Keyword=reset&ProductID=MFC8820D (forget printing the configuration page, you're trying to clear the configuration anyway.)

- to erase stored faxes from memory (if any were stored there): turn the printer off. That's that for them. And do this to make sure: turn Off the 'Fax Storage' option (if it is On - if not, turn it On, then turn it Off), and when asked if you want to erase faxes, press 1 for yes, see bottom of this page:
http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solution.aspx?FAQID=200000007139&Sympt=How+do+I+store+received+faxes+into+memory%3f+%28Fax+Storage%29&Model=173&ProductGroup=5&Keyword=stored&ProductID=MFC8820D

And for the MFC-8500:

- to clear stored faxes from memory, follow the directions here (turn Stored Faxes = On first, if it is already turned Off, then turn it Off, and say Yes=1 to erasing all stored faxes.):
http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solution.aspx?FAQID=200000010477&Sympt=How+do+I+store+received+faxes+into+memory%3f+%28Fax+Storage%29&Model=171&ProductGroup=5&Keyword=stored%20fax&ProductID=MFC8500

- the MFC-8500 can store Speed Dial and One-Touch faxing numbers. And it stores names with them too. There is no control for erasure of these once they are in memory, however they can be erased (seemingly) by going through the procedure for storing a new number (in a location in memory that already has a Speed Dial or One-Touch number in it), then pressing Clear with the cursor to the left of the number (or name, hopefully, too), then storing that.
Or failing that, go through the 'Change One-Touch or Speed Dial number', and store(###) ###-####in it, with a blank name, if you can't simply clear the number and name out.
See page 77 of the manual (in PDF format at
http://www.brother-usa.com/ModelDocuments/Consumer/Users%20Manual/UM_MFC_8500_EN_1354.PDF

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.)
- Favorable feedback is appreciated.

thank you for your answer.

On clearing the memor I cannot accept the answer yet. I need to have a few minutes to actually perform the function.

On the first question regarding mfc8500 two inch wide band of black on the right hand side of the paper when a copy is made (faxes come thru without the dark band). This did not work!

If cleaning the scanner parts did not work, try replacing the cartridge in the Brother MFC (the one of these with the black band on printed output, of course.)

See whether the memory clearing I advised works or not, before approving it, of course.