Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My Canon Pixma IP4200 makes a grinding sound when it sets up

to print. Currently I...
My Canon Pixma IP4200 makes a grinding sound when it sets up to print. Currently I am attempting to remove the cover but cannot get the front to release.
1/27/2011
John, Computer Science Engineer
Please remember to scroll down and click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us, and even if you see the holding charge in your credit/debit account I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please check using a flashlight, to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen. If there is nothing obvious, un-plug the printer power supply.

Next, take a dry cloth or Q-tips and clean the rubber rollers in the automatic sheet feeder. Dust may be coating the rollers there and as they become less tacky, they cannot feed paper correctly.

Holding the printer in both hands (you may need another person to help you) , turn it upside down and shake it for a few seconds to see if anything falls out of the paper feed area. (Sometimes objects such as pens, paper clips and so on can fall into the paper feed area and cause blockages.)

Then plug the printer back up, take your paper out and replace it with a fresh, small stack (about 5 pages) of paper. Then try to form feed again. If that works, then try to print again.

If no luck, remove all paper from the machine and then blow out the feed roller and paper tray thoroughly with compressed air three or four times.

Once done plug in back in and insert a single sheet of paper.

Please test the machine and let me know the results.

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

John,

Thanks for helping here. The paper feed you're referring to is the long black roller that almost spans the width of the printer, just below the ink tanks? I've wiped that with a microfiber cloth. Shook it. And it's the same. The grinding/clicking is quite loud and seems to be coming from the right side of the printer.

Yes... it seems the feeder is defective and the printer will need to be repaired or replaced. However I will opt out to see if another expert has a second opinion.

You will receive an email when another expert takes your question. The new expert will see all our previous thread, so no need to explain the issue again.

Thank you

Thank you. Appreciate the help.
You are very welcome

John,

No one else is answering so I would assume they agree with you. Do you think this is worth taking it somewhere to fix?

Janice

Actually I think it is not worth it. You may prefer a new printer for a similar price. Amazon has very good prices usually with free shipping and no tax. Click here for more info ---> http://tiny.cc/vxym3

Please note I do NOT work for CANON so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them.

Thank you

John Cappucci

John, Computer Science Engineer
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Thanks so much.
John, Computer Science Engineer