Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My canon MP490 keeps saying its offline when it is connected.

Customer Question
My canon MP490 keeps saying...
My canon MP490 keeps saying it's offline when it is connected. I have tried two different cables with two different computers and no luck. Both of these computers work with a different printer. Any suggestions? Thanks, Rebecca
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Printers
1/24/2011
Technician: John, Computer Science Engineer replied 6 years ago
John, Computer Science Engineer
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

NOTE: If you have Windows 7 or Vista, please let me know if you have the 32 bit or 64 bit version. Right click the "Computer" icon on your desktop and select Properties to figure it out.

Thank you
I have windows 7 starter on my netbook, that used to print with no problem from this printer and XP on my desktop. I couldn't figure out the information you requested from the properties page.
Ok, please follow the steps below to uninstall the printer software completely using the Windows Install Cleanup TOOL and then re-install it:

1- Unplug your printer from the computer

2- Uninstall the CANON printer software going to Start, Control Panel, Uninstall a Program

3- Download "windows install cleanup" tool. Go to
http://wikisend.com/download/887790 and click on "Download file" to download and install this tool

4- Remove any CANON printer application using this tool. (if you find any)

5- Restart the computer BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you).

6- Download the newest driver here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mp_series/pixma_mp490#DriversAndSoftware

Scroll down and then click the red triangle next to "Select OS" and select "WINDOWS 7"

Click "mp490swin104ea24.exe" 20.04 MB

Select I Agree - Begin Download

Save the file to your desktop, then double click it to start the installation.

7- After the new driver is installed please restart your computer (BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (add to favorites) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART, and click Accept if the issue is solved (that's the only way I can get paid for my effort. Thank you)

8- Turn on your printer and plug in the USB cable to another available USB port in your computer and try to print

9- Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

10- If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
John- I followed all the steps, went to print a test page and then tried another document without success. The computer control panel is telling me the printer is ready, it is no longer saying it is off line, but when I click print it says the printer is not responding.

Thanks, Rebecca
OK, please go to Start, "Devices and Printers" and let me know what printers do you see listed there, thank you!
Brother MFC7440, which I use with no problem.

Brother MFC 8480DN which I have used at a client's office.

Canon inkjet MP480 Series - this is set as the default printer
Do you have a MP480 printer ?
No it's an MP490 but when I went to select the driver this was not one of the options, it said "MP80 Series" that was the closest. I
The link I sent you is for the MP490. Have you tried it? You need to install the MP490 driver.
John-

Yes, that is the drive installed. When I went to print a document the printer does not show up on the drop down list of options so I went to the control panel and clicked "add printer." The prompt to add the printer includes a list of printers, there is no printer on the list that says MP490, the closest is MP380. None of this seems to be working.
Please remove the 380 and the 480, then try again my solution to add the MP490 printer. Also try changing the USB cable to a different USB port in your computer. Please keep me posted.

Please let me know if the issue is not solved clicking the "Reply to your expert" gray button, so we can continue troubleshooting. DO NOT click Accept if you are not positively satisfied.

If I helped please scroll down and click the green Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

John, Computer Science Engineer
I received the part I needed for my other printer and it now works again. Looks like the problem is in the connection with the Canon printer, not the cord or set up. Thanks for your help, looks like it's time for a new color printer.
John, Computer Science Engineer