Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

During installation of software for Brother MFC-J415W printer,

I get an IS052 error...
During installation of software for Brother MFC-J415W printer, I get an IS052 error. How do I fix this so that I can install the printer?
1/24/2011
BrianPKelly
BrianPKelly, Technician

BrianPKelly :

Hi, my name's XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to assist you today.

BrianPKelly :

If you follow this link to Brother's FAQ regarding this error, you will see that you need to contact Brother directly regarding this error.

BrianPKelly :

http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solution.aspx?FAQID=200000008078&Sympt=During+the+installation+of+the+MFL+software+I+receive+an+IS052+error.+What+can+I+do%3f&Model=89&ProductGroup=5&ProductID=

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

I am having issues contacting them, and they won't respond to my emails. Do you have any work-around?

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

It's been over a month since I've tried installing this POS

BrianPKelly :

Indeed. Have you tried calling them at the number listed on the page?

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

I tried, but I got put on hold a few times, and it's nearly impossible for me to call them during their hours

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

I need some solution to this. It's already too late for me to return this printer.

BrianPKelly :

Ah, I understand. I actually spent some time researching this for you but didn't come up with a lot. Bear in mind that we're not official tech support for Brother or affiliated with the company.

BrianPKelly :

Have you tried installing the driver file by itself without the full software package? That may at least get you printing.

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

yes, I have. 3 times in the last hour, actually

BrianPKelly :

Did you use the Windows Add Printer wizard or was it an executable?

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

an exe

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

Windows Add Printer won't find it

BrianPKelly :

Give me one minute, let me check something for you. ..

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

okay

BrianPKelly :

What's your operating system?

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

Windows XPSP3

BrianPKelly :

Okay, one minute. . .

BrianPKelly :

Follow this link form e.

BrianPKelly :

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/download_index.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj415w_all&dlid=&flang=English&os=7&type2=-1?

BrianPKelly :

If you scroll all the way down to the advanced section, you'll see the Add Printer Wizard driver.

BrianPKelly :

Tell me if you've tried that yet.

BrianPKelly :

You'll want to click the link and then, on the next page, scroll down the Local Printer section (if it's connected directly to the PC).

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

What's this going to do?

BrianPKelly :

Basically you're bypassing the full Brother software package with the whole fancy interface and everything and manually installing the printer via Windows' printer wizard. So this software shouldn't be an .exe, rather it's just the raw driver itself.

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

okay, hang on

BrianPKelly :

Take your time.

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

Okay, I've downloaded the file, and I have the folder on my desktop

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

now what?

BrianPKelly :

Okay, is the printer directly connected via a cable to the PC?

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

No, it's on the network

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

And it's on, and it's working correctly

BrianPKelly :

Hmm. . . Okay, if you're not already on this page, then go here:

BrianPKelly :

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/dlf/000000/004400/dlf004463.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj415w_all&type2=82&os=7&flang=8&dlid=dlf004463

BrianPKelly :

Scroll down to the second option that says For Network Printing using TCP/IP (Peer-to-Peer Printing):

BrianPKelly :

If I understand your setup you have, then you should have to walk through those steps.

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

okay, hold on a sec

BrianPKelly :

Sure.

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

I got this error: Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed.

BrianPKelly :

Hmm. In that case, if you followed the instructions exactly as they're written out, I'm afraid you would need to contact Brother and go through their tech support channel. I know that's a bummer but they should have the specialized knowledge about that particular software/printer model to get you up and running.

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

That's frustrating.

BrianPKelly :

Don't worry. I understand. I've had to go down that road myself in times past when I've wrestled with something and it just wasn't working right. Considering that they don't even list the instructions for the fix on their website, my guess is that it's a known design flaw.

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

If it's a known flaw, why aren't the instructions listed?

BrianPKelly :

Your guess is as good as mine. They obviously have a record of it as it's listed on the website. But the Brother techs may have specialized in-house software or information that fixes whatever the problem is.

BrianPKelly :

Which is why they say to call them, as per the link I posted earlier on.

BrianPKelly :

Here's what I can do, though. I can opt out of this question and return it to the board in case other experts may have info that I don't have.

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

but they're not the easiest for me to get a hold of. some people actually work from 9 to 7, and aren't around their printers

BrianPKelly :

Oh, no doubt.

BrianPKelly :

Obviously 24 hour support would be the best.

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

or at least support on the weekends-- they're only around M thru F

BrianPKelly :

Absolutely. It's definitely frustrating. I luckily rarely have to go to a company for tech support, but when I do, it's like pulling teeth.

BrianPKelly :

They did design the printer and software, though. So obviously they would know the most about it.

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

don't opt out of the question, you've been patient and helpful enough

BrianPKelly :

I appreciate that. I was really hoping installing the driver straight without the add-on software would fix it. I'm pretty disappointed myself.

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

It's not your fault, no worries

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

I'll play around some more, maybe I'll get something going

BrianPKelly :

Sounds good. I'll put this question into Q&A mode so if you have any follow up questions you can return to it and ask.

JACUSTOMER-z4xvlpzb- :

Thanks! Have a great evening!

BrianPKelly :

Good luck with it. It looks like a nice printer. I hope you get everything squared away./

BrianPKelly :

Thank you. You too.

BrianPKelly
BrianPKelly, Technician
After a couple more tries to Add Printer, it finally worked! Thank you! Laughing
Awesome! I'm very glad to hear it! I knew that that SHOULD work. Not sure why it didn't the first time, but that's computers for you.
BrianPKelly
BrianPKelly
BrianPKelly, Technician