Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have a Dell 1230c color lazer printer. I have replaced all

Customer Question
I have a Dell 1230c...
I have a Dell 1230c color lazer printer. I have replaced all four color cartrages, the waste receptical and the imagining drum assembly. When I turn on the printer, it goes through its initial routine and when it would normally indicate green (ready) the indicator turns red and the printer is non functional. What can I do to correct this problem?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Printers
12/10/2010
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 6 years ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
It is usual, with all laser printer problems, to Open, Inspect, Clean (carefully), Close Up, and Try Again.

Open: Unplug the machine for safety. Get access to the internal workings, esp. those of the problem area. Remove cartridge(s) if necessary.

Inspect: look for anything wrong or odd in the problem area (green in this case). Spilled toner? bent or broken parts? stuck sensor switch? tabs or tape not removed from toner cartridge(s)?

Clean (carefully): Take a dry white or light colored high-quality lint-free rag cloth, and wipe firmly all possible plastic or especially metal surfaces that could have toner/paper dust/fluff/anything on them. Carefully, to avoid touching, spraying, moistening, abrading, or exposing to direct light for longer than 1 minute out of 15 or more, the shiny, usually blue-green (but sometimes red-purple) photosensitive 'drum' or roller, which is easily damaged.

Close up: put everything back in, close covers, etc.

Try again: plug in, turn on.

- Let me know what you observe or find out. There may be more to do for the problem.

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.)
- Favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)
I have cleaned every place I can reach without turning any screw. Symptoms still the same. Turn on the printer, it cycles through the initial sequence. Indications that it checks each toner cartridge, The there is some kind of mechanical check, all during this the indicator light is green, then at the time the printer should be ready, the indicator turns red and the printer will do nothing.
There's a bad puzzler in the documentation here, and that is: nobody has documented what that red light means, for this model.

Besides, you haven't told me which light is red that should be green. One of the toner lights? or something else? Please indicate unambiguously. Thanks.
The red light comes on each time the printer cannot operate. Out of paper, red light, out of toner red light. Paper jam, red light. This is the light right next to the on off sign just above the switch with the circle enclosing a triangle.

After cleaning, the printer would not operate. Shutting off the power and re initiating the printer it did operate once. Now, it does not function.
I operated once??! that could be quite important as a detail.

Do you mean that it printed one job? stayed in responsive condition for an interval? or that it printed one sheet and then stopped?

As for the red light that's coming on repeatedly, let me look that up and get back to you on the details, as far as I can tell what they are.
I found documentation for the LED condition you reported:

If all toner LEDs are on, red, and not flashing, then either

- all toner cartridges are [seen by the printer as] exhausted, or
- all toner cartridges are [seen by the printer as] wrong for the printer, incorrectly installed, or the like.

Check your toner cartridges - are they refills, or genuine OEM (Dell) made?
And are they right for your printer?:
- Yellow:
Manufacturer Part# : M127K
Dell Part# :(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />- Magenta:
Manufacturer Part# : J506K
Dell Part# :(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />- Cyan:
Manufacturer Part# : J069K
Dell Part# :(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
are listed as correct for the Dell 1230c color laser printer.

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.) And, favorable feedback is appreciated.
All the toner cartages and the drum cartage are DELL. I will try obtaining new cartages again and see if that solves the problem. It will take about 10 days to get the cartages and a short time to try each one. Will get back to you when I have tried these things.
I suspect the new cartridges will be an expense that will not fix the problem. But yes, it is to be tried.

The part #s I gave you are vital - if the replacements (or any of them) are not those part #s, they will not work and you will get the error you are having.

But let me know how it turns out.
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech