Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

PIXMA printer shows error code 6000

Customer Question
PIXMA printer shows error code 6000
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Printers
11/20/2010
Technician: Freddy M., Technician replied 7 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Please check and make sure it is 6000 and not 6A00.
The error code is 6000
Technician: Andy, Elec & Comp pro replied 7 years ago
Andy, Elec & Comp pro

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

This is basically a hardware error related to Purge Unit. If printer is in warranty get it replaced by Canon. If not please read ahead.

1. Please open the printer cover and when the carriage head moves to center pull out the power cord.
2. The Purge unit is on the right side. Use a flashlight and you will see two ink pads. This is where the print-head is PARKED and is the top of the Purge unit.
3. There you will find wiper blades that move from the rear to the front. They wipe the bottom of the print-head when it is parked.
(The ink pads actually drop down about 3/4" to allow the wiper blade to pass and then it is supposed to spring back to the rear. Also the ink suction for cleaning the print-head is done by the purge unit.)
4. Use some rubber gloves and a paper towel and see if you can press the ink pads down just a little bit - about 1/4". See if for some reason the wiper blade is stuck extended, if so see if you can get it unstuck. Please do this gently such that you don't break anything there.

This error indicates that the purge unit is not giving the correct timing signal as it rotates inside 360 degrees. Therefore, something is either broken or jammed inside. If you had a paper jam and tried to forcefully pull it out, you could have pulled the internal gears out of alignment.

So you will need to do some maneouvers to try to release the cartridge from its parking position. Again, don't try hard.

Now, if this does not work than it would be cheaper to buy a new printer rather than sending it to Canon for repair if its not in warranty.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" to acknowledge my answer.

(You need to click ACCEPT even if you are a SUBSCRIPTION or TRIAL member)

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Andy, Elec & Comp pro