Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

How do I unjam my J4550 HP Printer

Customer Question
?...
How do I unjam my J4550 HP Printer ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Printers
11/8/2010
Technician: Sudipto, Engineer replied 7 years ago
Sudipto, Engineer
WELCOME TO JUST ANSWER!! My name isXXXXX will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

Video of clearing a paper jam
The following video demonstrates the steps for clearing a carriage jam on the HP Officejet J4600 All-in-One printer series.
Solution one: Clear the paper jam
Follow these steps to resolve the issue. It might not be necessary to complete all the steps.
NOTE: Paper jam messages can be true or false. The product might report a paper jam when there is no paper jam. The following steps resolve both true and false paper jam messages.
Step one: Remove any loose paper
Remove any loose sheets of paper from the input tray and the output tray.
CAUTION: Do not remove jammed paper at this stage. Trying to clear jammed paper from the front of the product can damage the print mechanism.
Remove any loose paperDo not pull jammed paper
Illustration of loose paperIllustration warning against pulling jammed paper
Step two: Clear the jam from the rear of the product
CAUTION: Never pull jammed paper from the front of the product. If you can pull it from the rear of the product or the tray, always try the rear first. Pulling paper from inside the front cover can cause mechanical damage to the product.
  1. Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the product.
  2. Press the Power button to turn off the product.
  3. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  4. Press the tab on the left side of the rear access door, and then pull the door outward to remove it.
    Figure 1: Remove the rear access door
    Illustration of removing the rear access door
  5. Gently remove any jammed paper or bits of torn paper from the rollers inside the product. Use both hands to pull any whole sheets of paper to avoid tearing them.
    Figure 2: Remove the paper from the rollers
    Illustration of removing the jammed paper from the rollers
    CAUTION: Use a flashlight to thoroughly check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the product. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the product, more jams are likely to occur.
    Figure 3: Remove scraps of paper
    Illustration of removing scraps of paper
  6. Gently push the rear access door into the product until it snaps firmly into place.
Step three: Clear the jam from the front of the product
  1. Without opening the cartridge access door, check the input tray for jammed paper.
  2. If you see jammed paper, gently pull it out.
    CAUTION: Carefully remove paper from the front of the product. Pulling too hard on jammed paper can damage the print mechanism.
  3. Open the cartridge access door.
    Figure 4: Open the cartridge access door
    Illustration of opening the cartridge access door
    NOTE: The carriage might try to move into the access area. If it does, allow it to move to that position.
  4. Check for any jammed paper inside the product.
    CAUTION: Remove paper from the front of the product as carefully as possible. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the product, more paper jams are likely to occur, and this might damage the print mechanism. Use a flashlight to make sure that you find all traces of paper.
  5. Close the cartridge access door.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. Press the Power button to turn on the product.
Step four: Print a self-test report
Print a self-test report. See the section on how to use these solutions at the beginning of this document.
  • If these steps resolved the issue , and the self-test report prints , there is no need to continue troubleshooting.
  • If the issue persists , continue with the next solution.
  • If the self-test report does not print , continue with the next solution.
Solution two: Make sure that the carriage moves freely
Use the following steps to make sure that the carriage moves freely.
Step one: Check the paper path
  1. If the product is not turned on, press the Power button to turn it on.
  2. Open the cartridge access door.
    Figure 5: Open the cartridge access door
  3. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  4. Unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.
    WARNING: You must unplug the power cord to move the carriage by hand and reset the paper feed mechanism without the risk of electrical shock.
  5. Check for any paper or objects that might be restricting the carriage.
    Figure 6: Example of paper that might restrict the carriage
    Illustration of paper in carriage path that could be restricting the carriage
  6. Remove any paper or objects you find.
    NOTE: If the paper tears when you remove it from the rollers, check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the product. If pieces of paper remain in the product, more paper jams might occur.
  7. Reach inside the product through the cartridge access door, and then manually move the carriage.
    • If the carriage is stuck on the right side , move the carriage to the left side of the product.
    • If the carriage is stuck on the left side , move the carriage to the right side of the product.
    • If the carriage is stuck in the middle , move the carriage to the right.
  8. Make sure that the carriage can move freely across the width of the product by gently pushing the carriage to the left, and then to the right.
  9. Close the cartridge access door.
  10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  11. Plug the power cord back into the power source or electrical outlet.
  12. Press the Power button to turn on the product.
Step two: Print a self-test report
Solution three: Clean the rollers and the rear access door
Dust, paper fiber, and other debris might accumulate on the paper feed rollers and cause paper jams and paper feed issues. Follow these steps to clean the paper feed rollers.
Step one: Clean the rollers
  1. Gather the following materials:
    • A clean, lint-free cloth, or any cloth that will not come apart or leave fibers
    • Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might damage the product)
  4. Press in the tab on the left side of the rear access door, and then pull the door away from the product to remove it.
    Figure 7: Remove the rear access door
  5. Lightly dampen a clean, lint-free cloth with bottled or distilled water, and then squeeze any excess liquid from the cloth.
  6. Press the cloth against the rollers and rotate them upwards with your fingers. Apply a moderate amount of pressure to remove any dust or dirt buildup.
    Figure 8: Rotate and clean the rollers
    Illustration of the rollers inside the rear access door
  7. Allow the rollers to dry for 10 or 15 minutes.
  8. Gently push the rear access door into the product until it snaps firmly into place.
  9. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  10. Press the Power button to turn on the product.
Step two: Print a self-test report
Solution four: Reset the product
Follow these steps to reset the product.
Step one: Perform a power reset
  1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on , disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

Source:HP Support
Sudipto, Engineer