John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a MFC 495CW printer and it stopped printing in black

Customer Question

I have a MFC 495CW printer and it stopped printing in black ink. I put a new cartridge in and it still does not print in black (about 5 lines) then fads to nothing the rest of the pages.
Category: Printers
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please remember to click ACCEPT if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us, and even if you see the holding charge in your credit/debit account I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Please follow the steps below:

1- Remove ALL the ink cartridges from the printer

2- Check that there is no residual tape on the cartridges.

3- Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the printer itself

===> Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab <===

4- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging, replace them with genuine and original ones.

5- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 60 seconds

6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

7- If it is it means the print head has failed

8- In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced

The print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page
Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace than the machine itself

Please note I do NOT work for Brother so please do NOT leave me a negative feedback if you are not satisfied with them. Thank you

If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did what you asked two times and the black will not print..
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Are you using genuine Brother cartridges or generic/refilled/remanufactured ones?

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It is a new brothers ink cart.

I did all the cleaning 3 times. with the printer unpluged. Nothing works should I take

it to best buy?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nothing more to tell you
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.

Then it seems the printhead is defective. The print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page.

If the printer is under warranty, Brother will replace the printhead for free. You can call Brother at 1-800-284-4329

Thank you

John Cappucci