Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

How do I scan on the brother MFC 7340. When I push scan, it

Customer Question
How do I scan on...
How do I scan on the brother MFC 7340. When I push scan, it says "Select." How do I know what to select. How can I scan it to my e-mail or file? My printer is connected to my computer, but I do not know how to get the scan on my computer. Thanks.

Fran Weiss [email protected]
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Printers
10/9/2010
Technician: Jess, Technician replied 7 years ago
Jess
Jess, Technician

Jess :

Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer. I am glad to assist you today.

Jess :

Please reply when you are ready for chat

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

I am ready

Jess :

ok

Jess :

When you push scan, your printer will prompt you to select which scan do you want

Jess :

so when the word "select" appears, press the UP or DOWN arrow buttons in your printer to make the selection

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

But how do I know which to select. The choices are scan to e-mail, , image, ocr or file, I do not know which to push so I can have it on my computer to send to others.

Jess :

ok... i will explain ALL options to help you decide

Jess :

scan to email means your scanner will scan the image or document then opens outlook attaching the scanned image/document

Jess :

if you dont have outlook, then this is not a good choice

Jess :

Scan to Image is your scanner will scan the doc/image then open the scanned file in PhotoShop for editing

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

If I have microsoft word does this include outlook. If so, where would I see the scan

Jess :

Scan to File is, your scanner will scan the image or document then the scanned image will be saved as an image file under My Documents/My Pictures/Control Center/Scan

Jess :

I would recommend SCAN to File

Jess :

when the scanning is completed, a window will open containing the scanned file

Jess :

please try Scan to File now and see the results

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

I tried scan to file and it says "connecting to pc." I think that I am doing it wrong because the papers has not moved from where I put it on the top feeder.

Jess :

No problem.

Jess :

When you do a scan, place the document in the scanning frame with glass

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

I tried to do it but I am having the same problem that I noted above. The paper has not moved from where I put it.

Jess :

the document will not move from there

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

If it does not move then how is it scanned

Jess :

you place the paper in the scanner frame

Jess :

it is at the top covered with a cover

Jess :

the scanner frame has a glass where you place the paper facing down

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

I opened the cover which is right above the dials and put one sheet down and pushed scan to file and it says connecting to pc and nothing is going on

Jess :

make sure that the scanner is connected to the computer

Jess :

just wait for some time and see if the scanner moves the scanner lights

Jess :

also, see if the status "Connecting to PC" is changed to "Scanning..."

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

Any ideas - Am I supposed to scan one page to the computer and then the next page so that there is an image for each page? At any rate, I still cannot get it to move.

Jess :

What did the status message say? Still "Connecting to PC.."?

Jess :

It should change to "Scanning..."

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

It now says Scan:Select which is exactly where it was before I entered "scan to file"

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

The brother printer has a fax, scan and copy function. The printer must be connected to the computer because the copy function work when I tell the computer to print.

Jess :

make sure the scanner/printer is properly connected to the PC with a USB cable

Jess :

ok

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

it is

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

Is there anything else that you can advise? I am about to give up.

Jess :

Then it should display: Connecting to PC...

Jess :

But after a little while, the display should change to: Scanning

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

It does not change to "scanning," it just goes back to scan select

Jess :

ok

Jess :

the COPY function still works even though the PC is OFF

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

Any other ideas or should I just exit.

Jess :

Ok. When the scanner says: Connecting to PC..., did the message simply disappears?

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

I mean that when I am typing on my computer and push the button "print," the printer prints out the document.

Jess :

Ok. then it is not yet connected to your PC

Jess :

it should be connected to your PC using a USB cable supplied with your printer

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

it is

Jess :

Ok. Please examine the cables attached to the printer

Jess :

Ah ok... Try this: Go to Start => Programs => Brother MFC => Scan

Jess :

Are you in the program? This is the program that should run when you push the Scan to File button in your printer

Jess :

Did you find the Scan program in your computer?

Jess :

The only problem is that your scanner cannot connect to the PC

Jess :

So we need to know the setup of your device so that I can help you make it work

Jess
Jess
Jess, Technician