Printers

How do I scan on the brother MFC 7340. When I push scan, it…

Customer Question
How do I scan on...
How do I scan on the brother MFC 7340. When I push scan, it says "Select." How do I know what to select. How can I scan it to my e-mail or file? My printer is connected to my computer, but I do not know how to get the scan on my computer. Thanks.

Fran Weiss [email protected] Read full answer

Fran Weiss [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
10/9/2010
Technician: Jess, Technician replied 8 years ago
Jess
Jess, Technician

Jess :

Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer. I am glad to assist you today.

Jess :

Please reply when you are ready for chat

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

I am ready

Jess :

ok

Jess :

When you push scan, your printer will prompt you to select which scan do you want

Jess :

so when the word "select" appears, press the UP or DOWN arrow buttons in your printer to make the selection

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

But how do I know which to select. The choices are scan to e-mail, , image, ocr or file, I do not know which to push so I can have it on my computer to send to others.

Jess :

ok... i will explain ALL options to help you decide

Jess :

scan to email means your scanner will scan the image or document then opens outlook attaching the scanned image/document

Jess :

if you dont have outlook, then this is not a good choice

Jess :

Scan to Image is your scanner will scan the doc/image then open the scanned file in PhotoShop for editing

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

If I have microsoft word does this include outlook. If so, where would I see the scan

Jess :

Scan to File is, your scanner will scan the image or document then the scanned image will be saved as an image file under My Documents/My Pictures/Control Center/Scan

Jess :

I would recommend SCAN to File

Jess :

when the scanning is completed, a window will open containing the scanned file

Jess :

please try Scan to File now and see the results

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

I tried scan to file and it says "connecting to pc." I think that I am doing it wrong because the papers has not moved from where I put it on the top feeder.

Jess :

No problem.

Jess :

When you do a scan, place the document in the scanning frame with glass

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

I tried to do it but I am having the same problem that I noted above. The paper has not moved from where I put it.

Jess :

the document will not move from there

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

If it does not move then how is it scanned

Jess :

you place the paper in the scanner frame

Jess :

it is at the top covered with a cover

Jess :

the scanner frame has a glass where you place the paper facing down

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

I opened the cover which is right above the dials and put one sheet down and pushed scan to file and it says connecting to pc and nothing is going on

Jess :

make sure that the scanner is connected to the computer

Jess :

just wait for some time and see if the scanner moves the scanner lights

Jess :

also, see if the status "Connecting to PC" is changed to "Scanning..."

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

Any ideas - Am I supposed to scan one page to the computer and then the next page so that there is an image for each page? At any rate, I still cannot get it to move.

Jess :

What did the status message say? Still "Connecting to PC.."?

Jess :

It should change to "Scanning..."

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

It now says Scan:Select which is exactly where it was before I entered "scan to file"

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

The brother printer has a fax, scan and copy function. The printer must be connected to the computer because the copy function work when I tell the computer to print.

Jess :

make sure the scanner/printer is properly connected to the PC with a USB cable

Jess :

ok

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

it is

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

Is there anything else that you can advise? I am about to give up.

Jess :

Then it should display: Connecting to PC...

Jess :

But after a little while, the display should change to: Scanning

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

It does not change to "scanning," it just goes back to scan select

Jess :

ok

Jess :

the COPY function still works even though the PC is OFF

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

Any other ideas or should I just exit.

Jess :

Ok. When the scanner says: Connecting to PC..., did the message simply disappears?

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

I mean that when I am typing on my computer and push the button "print," the printer prints out the document.

Jess :

Ok. then it is not yet connected to your PC

Jess :

it should be connected to your PC using a USB cable supplied with your printer

JACUSTOMER-2bfcugj5- :

it is

Jess :

Ok. Please examine the cables attached to the printer

Jess :

Ah ok... Try this: Go to Start => Programs => Brother MFC => Scan

Jess :

Are you in the program? This is the program that should run when you push the Scan to File button in your printer

Jess :

Did you find the Scan program in your computer?

Jess :

The only problem is that your scanner cannot connect to the PC

Jess :

So we need to know the setup of your device so that I can help you make it work

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
How does one clean a drum?? Brother mfc 7340 7360. Just
How does one clean a drum?? JA: What's the brand and model of your printer? Customer: Brother mfc 7340 7360 JA: How long has this been going on with your Brother printer? Customer: just started JA: Wh… read more
It Support Specialist,
My Brother MFC-7340 stopped printing, display say "Tomer
My Brother MFC-7340 stopped printing, display say "Tomer Life End, Replace Toner Cartridge" Why, printer was working fine with dark blacks? … read more
Ameen Khan
Ameen Khan
Senior IT Support Specialist,
Information Technology Management / Computer Science
I have a new computer and I need help re-establishing my
I have a new computer and I need help re-establishing my scanner operation from my Brother MFC-7340. the new computer is a HP Pavilion … read more
IT Manager,
Stop searching for answers—
Have an HP EliteBook lap top which has been happily
Have an HP EliteBook lap top which has been happily connected to a Brother MFC-7340 either printing or scanning. Now all a sudden will print but not scan....Have replaced cable and tried all 4 USB ports on lap top and tried switching off/on both devices to no avail. Can you possibly help thanks … read more
Vishnu Babu
Vishnu Babu
Engineer - Information Technology,
Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS)
Brother MFC 7340 Documenr Jam. Will not print or scan. There
Brother MFC 7340 Documenr Jam. Will not print or scan. There is no document in machine. … read more
Jeffrey B
Jeffrey B
ICT Support 1/2/3/ Line,
Information Technology
Bottom paper tray stuck in Brother MFC-7340. Asus laptop.
Tray has been difficult before when try to reload...no matter whether printer off or on… read more
IT Manager,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have a Brothers 7340 printer with a scanner on it I am
I have a Brothers 7340 printer with a scanner on it I am trying to scan a document but I have the signal for the printer that it is idle, default. For some reason, the scanner is not connecting up wit… read more
Printer and Office Equip. Specialist,
Engineering Diploma
I want to scan at 1,200 dpi but MFC-7340 doesnt seem to go
I want to scan at 1,200 dpi but MFC-7340 doesn't seem to go above 100 dpi, even though 1,200 is available on the drop-down menus. Howcum?… read more
networkwiz
networkwiz
System Engineer,
MFC 7340 Brother printer won,t printThe paper goes through
MFC 7340 Brother printer won,t print The paper goes through without printing was working graet but had a internet/E mail proplem and then stoped working. I have it WORKING NOW Please refund my deposit… read more
networkwiz
networkwiz
System Engineer,
It says my mfc 7340 Brother fax/photocopy/scan machine is jammed
It says my mfc 7340 Brother fax/photocopy/scan machine is jammed but its not. how do I reset it?… read more
Handy--Andy
Handy--Andy
Technical,
HND Computer Studies
my Brother printer [MFC-7340] worked with my MacBook Pro laptop,
my Brother printer [MFC-7340] worked with my MacBook Pro laptop, which is quite old, until I upgraded the computer to Leopard operating system. Now, when I try to print anything from the Internet, the… read more
Ed
Ed
Repair Shop Owner,
I have a Brother MFC - 7340 connected to a PB technology PC When
I have a Brother MFC - 7340 connected to a PB technology PC When I wish to print a document and hit the print Icon i get a pop up showing a phone and key board. If I press Ctrl/P I get a pop up of Bro… read more
Printer Doctor
Printer Doctor
Technical Support Manager,
Stop searching for answers—
We have a Brother MFC 7340. The print and scan functions are
We have a Brother MFC 7340. The print and scan functions are working fine however the fax function is a problem. When a fax is received the machine appears to answer but just produces a blank sheet of… read more
Sandeep Pamarati
Sandeep Pamarati
Project Lead,
hi ! i have a brother mfc-250 c model i dont know how to
hi ! i have a brother mfc-250 c model i do'nt know how to scan info and send it as an attachement with e mails can you please assist me ?thankyou very much silvano tregambe ([email protected] ) or XXXX… read more
Printer and Office Tech,
Hi, I have a brother MFC 7420 and need to scan 25 pages into
Hi, I have a brother MFC 7420 and need to scan 25 pages into one pdf and email it... could you please walk me through what i need to do Thank you, Kate [email protected]… read more
AnswerManCharles
AnswerManCharles
Technical Specialist,
I recently purchase a model MFC-7340 machine and need help
I recently purchase a model MFC-7340 machine and need help in learing to scan pages to my documents section or to email. Could you give me step by step instructions on how to do the following. I am no… read more
EExpert
EExpert
I am using a Brother all in one MFC-7340 printer, scanner,
I am using a Brother all in one MFC-7340 printer, scanner, copier, connected to to my MAC System 10.6.3. I am not able to scan to file. I followed the Brother's Solutions Center instructions (MAC. HD,… read more
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
IT Technician,
I am new at this. I have a Brother MFC-7340. How do I scan
I am new at this. I have a Brother MFC-7340. How do I scan on it and then how do I send it to my Microsoft Word? Thanks, Liz… read more
Elec & Comp pro,
MS Electrical Engineering