John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

HP Deskjet 5440 Printer makes horrible loud ratcheting noise

HP Deskjet 5440 Printer makes horrible loud ratcheting noise when cartridge is in far right position. How do we fix?
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please remember to click ACCEPT if we solve the issue, for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or trial plan with us, and even if you see the holding charge in your credit/debit account I need you to click Accept for the money to be released to me)

Please follow the steps below (source:hp.com)

Make sure the carriage moves freely
Follow these steps to make sure the wiper shift plate is correctly positioned.
  1. Get a latex-free glove in case the wiper shift plate has to be repositioned.
  2. Make sure the wiper shift plate is correctly positioned behind the carriage base. If the wiper shift plate is visible under the print carriage, it is incorrectly positioned.
    Figure 5: Correct position of the wiper shift plate

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
    Figure 6: Incorrect position of the wiper shift plate

Register Here
  3. If the wiper shift plate is incorrectly positioned, put on a latex-free glove. Using medium pressure, push the wiper shift plate toward the back of the product until it cannot be seen.
  4. Push the empty print carriage to the far left of the product.
  5. Plug the power cord into the back of the product.
    CAUTION: Do not plug in any USB cables at this time.
  6. Press the Power button (

Register Here
    ) to turn the product on, if the product did not turn on automatically.
    • If the product made grinding noises when turned on, unplug the power cord from the back of the product, and then service the product.
If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated