Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My computer says my canon mx860 printer is offline even when

Customer Question
it is plugged in via...
My computer says my canon mx860 printer is offline even when it is plugged in via usb port. how do i fix this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Printers
9/22/2010
Technician: sangita.soni, Engineer replied 7 years ago
sangita.soni
sangita.soni, Engineer
Hi

Thanks for your question.

Please download the latest drivers for canon from here

http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/controller?act=OPDDownloadIndexAct

and restart your computer and printer. Please let me know if that doesnt fix it

It is still giving me the same "printer is offline" messages even after i downloaded the latest driver and restarted both the computer and printer
In the System Preferences / Print & Fax, when you highlight the printer on the left, what does it say on the right side under "kind:"?

The print drivers needed for your printer should already be in Snow Leopard. There should be no need to run the installers.

I suggest you try the following:
1) Go to System Preferences > Print & Fax.
2) Click the lock if necessary to unlock the panel.
3) Click the + (plus) icon below the Printers pane on the left to open the Add Printer application.
4) Under the Defaul tab in the Add Printer Dialogue box, a list of available printers should pop up after a few seconds.
5) Find your printer in the list and select it.
6) Under "Print Using" select the appropriate driver for this printer. In this case, you are going to want the Canon 10.26.1.0 driver that comes with Snow Leopard.
Ok nothing came up on the list of available printers so I hit the "-" sign on the print and fax main page with the mx 860 selected so it would appear on the available printers list and now it is just gone. What is your suggestion?
Hi

Its just that the drivers are not properly installed.
please try installing the drivers again.

This is because of some bugs in the installation driver. try out this drive.

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0100165602.html

Sorry I don't know why this just isn't working. I downloaded that driver, restarted the computer and printer and the printer still does not appear on the add printer menu under default or the original print and fax printers menu.
The problem is that now the printer is not showing up on my list of available printers, as in I already did the steps in the first link of the most recent reply you sent me. Now I need to print on that printer and need it back on my list of available printers and it is no where to be found. What do I do
Relist: Answer quality.
This service did nothing but occupy an hour and a half of my time and made my problem with my printer worse because now my computer doesn't even show my printer as a possible option where before i could select the printer it just said it was offline. I hope I will not be charged for such inadequate service.
I have replied twice. Yes your answer was inadequate you still haven't answered my question. No I am not satisfied with my "expert."
sangita.soni
sangita.soni
sangita.soni, Engineer