Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Status states printer is offline. How do I get it online

Customer Question
Status: states printer is offline...
Status: states printer is offline. How do I get it online? Printer is working fine for my main desktops, but not for my wireless laptop. I am receiving internet for all computers.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Printers
9/21/2010
Technician: R.A. McConnell, Technician replied 7 years ago
R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Technician
Hello, I'll be glad to help you with this, but I need a little more information first:

How are you connecting to this printer? Are you using a USB cable to your computer, a network cable through a router that supports USB printer sharing? If you print through the router, which make and model of router is this?
Yes, it is through a USB printer cable from an hp desktop. The router is a Belkin Wireless G 802.11g 54Mbps 2.4GHZ
Do you have networking generally set up between the laptop and the desktop? If not, I'll be happy to help you through getting it configured.

Yes, and it was working fine back in August before a nor easter hit the area! I am also wanting to get another laptop working (with my daughter at school at the moment) and think there may be the same problem with that second laptop. I have tried system restore, to no effect.

Did you get my last reply?
This troubleshooting step is posted as an answer, per site policy, but don't accept it until you're satisfied that it has answered your original question.

From the HP, desktop, check to status of printer sharing:

1. From the Start menu, click on Control Panel.

2. Double-click to open the Printers and Faxes item.

3. Right-click on the Canon printer and select Properties from the pop-up menu.

4. Click on the tab labeled Sharing

5. Verify that the printer is shared and make a note of the name of the share.

6. Let me know what you find in either case.

It states Canon Inkjet MP600 printer and is checked but the check mark is not in bold, only in grey.
Are you doing this on the computer that the printer is actually connected to with the USB cable? If so, can this computer print at this time?
Yes
Which item is grayed out? Is this on the Sharing tab of the printer's properties?
No the check mark and boxes are grayed out
Are you logged in to the HP desktop with an account with administrative rights? Which operating system is it using? XP? Vista? Windows 7?
We are using Windows 7 on the desktop that I am on at the moment. I am the administrator for the system.
What other printers do you have listed in Printers and Faxes?
None
On the Ports tab of the printer's properties, which port is the printer listed as using?
USB Virtual printer port. I just noticed there is another printer on there which I don't use - should I delete it?
What is it called?
Microsoft Xps document printer

No, leave the XPS Document printer there. It's a required component of some programs.

Close the printer's properties and try unplugging the USB cable from the back of the computer and plugging it in to a different USB port. When that is done, check to see if you can alter the sharing properties.
Changing the USB cable didn't change anything, but I noticed that if I click on "Change sharing options" the check box will go bold and then I can change it. As I said, the Canon printer is checked at the moment.
What is the Share Name of the printer and is the Share this printer option checked?

One thing you should probably know: on the laptop, the printer name states

\\Annedolivo-pc (the name of my desktop computer)\Canon MP600 Printer. I seem to remember that that is how it should appear on the laptop according to another tech guy that I was on line with and that was how it was always set up.

So is the Share Name set to Canon MP600 Printer?
The share name of the printer is Canon Inkjet MP600 printer and it is checked.
Canon Inkjet MP600 printer

That's different than the name you listed before:

\\Annedolivo-pc\Canon MP600 Printer

Let's check the printer from your laptop. What does it show at the printer's name and location in the Printer and Faxes portion of the Control Panel?
I have one printer that says Canon MP600 printer which is offline and states that it is the default printer, another that says Canon MP600 Printer on Annedolivo-pc which is also offline, plus the Microsoft XPS

If you right-click on either of the printers, can you use them online or uncheck the Use Offline option?

Edited by R.A. McConnell on 9/21/2010 at 6:15 PM EST
I can't see a button or option where you can do that. That has been the problem all along! There doesn't seem to be an online or offline option.
Even when you right-click on them?
Somehow I just got the Canon MP600 printer online - god know how! That wasn't an option before but I was clicking left and right, and it came up as an option!. So now I'll try to print something. Hang on!
OK, it is stating "collecting printer status" but the status is saying "Error - print..." that is usually what happens when I can get the printer ready.

Go ahead and delete both of these printers from the laptop and let's set up the networked printer again. Do you need me to walk you through it?
Yes. I have to go in about 10 minutes!
We may need to get back to this later, then. Does that work for you? It will take longer than that for me to type it up. I'm going to be out myself, for the day, here shortly.
Yes, I will be available at around 4pm today
Unfortunately, I won't be on again until around 08:00 am, Pacific time. If that works for you, let me know and I'll be happy to continue to assist you at that time. Otherwise, let me know and I'll opt out and let some other expert take over.
Relist: Resolution wasn't completed in enough time..
Resolution wasn't completed in enough time.

I have deleted the printers, reinstalled the printer disc. Now it is saying that the printer isn't listed when I am trying to add the printer, whereas it was listed before.

I will be available around 1pm eastern time tomorrow, so let's try some more options then. Or you can pass this onto another expert. Thanks.

Technician: Sandeep Pamarati, Engineer replied 7 years ago
Sandeep Pamarati

Try to follow the below steps...

If the printer is set Offline, an error message will appear and the print job will not complete.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

1. Open Printers folder:

For Windows Vista
    • Click / Select 'Start' from the bottom left of the Windows screen, 'Control Panel', 'Hardware and Sound', and then click on 'Printers'.
    • Note: If you are in 'Classic' view, Click 'Printers' directly from the 'Control Panel'.

2. Right-click your printer's icon and select 'Use Printer Online'. The document will print.

Register Here

3. If the document does not print and the job remains queued, a printer icon will appear to the left of the time on the Windows taskbar.

Register Here

4. Double-click on the printer icon to open the 'Printer' window.

5. Click on the document title below the 'Document Name' column.

6. From the 'Document' menu select 'Restart'.

1. Click the start icon, then click Devices and Printers.

2. Right-Click the printers icon and select See what's printing in the dropdown menu.

Register Here

3. In the next screen click the printer tab. Use Printer Offline will have a check mark to the left of it. Click Use Printer Offline.

Register Here

4. Close the window. The printer will now be used online.

Let me know if it helps...
I deleted the printers from the laptop, as suggested by the last expert, and now I can't get the laptop to recognise the printer. So there is no icon to click on anymore!
I apologize for the delay.

Go ahead and open Windows Explorer (press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard (usually located between the CTRL and ALT keys in the lower left corner of the keyboard) and then press the E key, then release both of them).

Type this in the address bar:

\\Annedolivo-pc\

Then press ENTER on your keyboard. You should see your printer listed there. Right-click on it and select Connect from the pop-up menu and it should be installed. Let me know if you have any trouble with this and I'll be happy to help.
I was out of town, so couldn't answer until now. Tried the above tip, but there is nothing in the computer for the Canon printer now that I have uninstalled it, per your suggestion, and when I try to reinstall with the original CD, it won't do it. Remember, my desktop is connected and recognizes the printer, but the laptop doesn't. It states"This program has known compatibility issues". There are no solutions online thru Microsoft or Canon Inc.
What did you see when you typed \\Annedolivo-pc\ into the address bar in a Windows Explorer window?

Hang on! It seems to be installing this time. Will reply soon.

When I did \\Annedolivo-pc\, in the search box via Windows Explorer (following your directions), search couldn't find anything.

If the system can't find anything when trying to get to that address, then there's a network communication problem that needs to be resolved.

Let me know how this run at installing the software goes. I'm hoping for the best, XXXXX XXXXX don't actually expect that it will do what we need.
It installed correctly and printed with the cable attached, but not without the cable. It is still stating printer offline.

On your desktop system, do this:

1. From the Start menu, select All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.

2. Type net view at the text-mode prompt and press ENTER.

3. Let me know what the output of the command is.

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press the R key down, then release both keys

2. Type \\Annedolivo-pc in the dialog box and click OK

3. Click Continue on any security warning that might pop up.

4. Let me know which items are displayed in the window that should open.

Canon MP 600 printer, users, public, printers (This is on the desktop) When I typed \\office-pc-notebook (name of laptop) on the laptop, it stated, printers, users and public, then there was nothing under printers. I tried typing in \\annedolivo-pc, it stated windows cannot access.

I have to go now. Will check in later

Something is blocking the network access from the notebook to the desktop. Do you have a firewall installed and enabled? Do you need help checking for this?
Yes I do and yes I do! But I have to leave now. I'll try myself to disable the firewall later. Thanks so far!
No problem. Let me know if you still need help when you get back and I'll be glad to lend a hand.
I called in a local computer guy to help me out and it turned out that I needed a print server. Now everything seems to be in order. Thanks for your help. What happens about the $16 deposit since we couldn't solve the problem without the piece of equipment?
It remains on account (in the event that you decide to ask another question in the future) unless you request that it be refunded. If you would like a refund, you can contact customer service here:

JustAnswer Customer Service
R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell
R.A. McConnell, Technician