Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My Epson Stylus CX9400Fax printer keeps saying to change the

Customer Question
ink cartridges. I have...
My Epson Stylus CX9400Fax printer keeps saying to change the ink cartridges. I have and it still won't recognize this!! AHHHHH!!!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Printers
9/8/2010
Technician: Tom K, Asst. Information Systems Manager replied 7 years ago
Tom K
Tom K, Asst. Information Systems Manager
Chat Conversation Started
Tom K :

Hi I am here to help.

Tom K :

Let me know when youre ready.

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

ready!

Tom K :

Ok hang on as I look up some info on this.

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

sure...

Tom K :

What version of Windows are you using with this printer, XP, Vista, or 7?

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

i have a mac (and i'm not too computer savvy)...

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

so am i still using windows?

Tom K :

Oh ha, should have thought of that.

Tom K :

Ok just needed to know you were on a Mac.

Tom K :

Hang in there.

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

ok

Tom K :

Ok double check all the cartridges have been installed correctly:

Press the On button to turn on the Epson Stylus CX, or (if already on) press the Setup button.

Select Maintenance and press OK.

Select Change Ink Cartridge and press OK.

Open the scanner.

Full Size Image

Open the cartridge cover.
Full Size Image

Press down all the ink cartridges until they click into place to make sure they are properly seated.
Full Size Image

Close the ink cartridge cover and press it until it clicks into place.
Close the scanner.
Press OK to begin charging the ink. This takes about 2 minutes.

You see a message on the display screen when ink charging is finished

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

hold on...

Tom K :

OK.

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

it just keeps quickly flashing a red error sign and saying press the ok button to replace ink cartridges. it sounds like it's beginning to "charge the ink" or something, and then stops quick and flashes that sign...

Tom K :

Does it give an error message or number/code?

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

it says C 69

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

and it says error with an x on top

Tom K :

Ok remove the ink cartridges and double check that they are the correct cartridges for this printer.

The correct cartridges are:

Ink colorPart number
Black69
Black (High Capacity)68
Cyan69
Magenta69
Yellow69
JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

yes all 69

Tom K :

Ok hold on.

Tom K :

Ok have you replaced all of the ink cartridges with a new cartridge or only certain ones?

Tom K :

?

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

just black, but all feel as heavy as the black...my sister said to shake up each one and replace them and it should work for a bit. but nothing printed just yesterday seemed light or anything...

Tom K :

Ok I know what the issue is now.

Tom K :

With the Epson Stylus CX9400 printers, when you change one ink cartridge, all of the ink cartridges need to be replaced with new ones.

Tom K :

This has to do with the manner in which the printer reports ink levels.

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

son of a beach...stupid. but nothing seemed bad in the first place and the printer just shut down. so frustrating.

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

sorry for my vulgarity

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

;-)

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

but that just wastes ink!

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

so the new black i put in wont work anymore when i replace the others?

Tom K :

For whatever reason, Epson has it setup so the printer will only operate with each ink cartridge starting at the same amount.

Tom K :

So basically, when one cartridge is replaced, all of the cartridges need to be replaced.

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

so the black WILL be ok if i replace the others

Tom K :

As long as the black cartridge has not been charged yet, when you replace the rest it should be ok.

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

it's just never done this sort of thing before, and we've changed one at a time before, it seems...

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

ok, thanks. hope this works!

Tom K :

Basically the printer cannot charge one new cartridge at a time, all the other cartridges also have to be replaced.

Tom K :

Thats what the C 69 error code refers to.

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

ok...wouldn't have figured that out on my own. thanks.

Tom K :

Glad I could help you out today.

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

Have a good one!

Tom K :

If you have no further questions, you can click on Accept Answer to close this question.

Tom K :

You too!

JACUSTOMER-9u9otahu- :

nothing further...

Tom K
Tom K
Tom K