Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My canon Pixma MP130 has an error check printer(5600). It…

Customer Question
My canon Pixma MP130 has...
My canon Pixma MP130 has an error: check printer(5600). It won't print?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
8/13/2010
Technician: Bill Sprouse, Technician replied 8 years ago
Bill Sprouse
Bill Sprouse, Technician

This is probably 5b00 not 5600, they can look very similar. There is no 5600 error code that I know of. The 5b00 error is due to the bottom ink absorber being detected as full. It may not actually be full, but there is a counter in the printer that tells it that it is. This lower ink absorber is a difficult unit to clean or replace so what I recommend is that you clean the platen ink absorbers and reset the counter. The bottom ink absorber gets dirty far less quickly if you keep the platen absorbers clean. You also need to get in the habit of repeating this platen ink absorber cleaning maybe once or twice a year. Don't just clear the error without cleaning the platen pads as this may cause too much ink to be deposited in the lower pad which could start leaking out of the bottom of the printer.

Clearing error code:

1. Unplug the printer and wait 10 seconds then plug back in.
  2. Power on the printer by pressing the Power button while pressing and holding the Stop/ Reset button.
  3. When the Power led is green press the Stop/Reset button two times while still holding the Power button down.
  4. Release the Power button and the Stop / Reset button and the printer will move into a service mode and will be waiting for a menu selection.
  5. When the Power led is green, press the Stop/Reset button 4 times to reset the waste ink counter.
  6. Power off the printer and power it back on again to complete the reset.

Cleaning the 2 platen ink absorber pads that are located under the ink cartridges:

1. With power off the head assembly / cartridges can be moved into the middle for easy access.
  2. Each of the 2 ink absorber pads are seated in a rubber retainer. The pads can be easily removed and cleaned or replaced.
  3. Carefully remove the pads using long nose pliers or tweezers.
  4. Clean them with running warm water, soaking for a while if very dirty. You can add a little rubbing alcohol to the water if water alone isn't working very well. DO NOT USE ANY SPIRITS OR OIL BASED CLEANERS. The pads should be fairly white when they are clean.
  5. Dry the pads - place them in a warm place like in the sun for several hours.
  6. Clean away any ink on the retaining rubber using a cotton swab or a clean soft lint free cloth.
  7. Replace the DRY pads in the rubber retainers.
  8. Replace the Ink cartridges.
  9. Power on the printer and print a test page and clean and realign the heads as required.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bill