Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

my photosmart c7180 still prints documents and photos, but

Customer Question

my photosmart c7180 still prints documents and photos, but has stopped scanning. it is several years old. i have been running vista since it came out. all of a sudden, it no longer will scan, but instead i get an error message "one or more ActiveX controls could not be displayed . . . .because i have a communication problem", and then another error message "Unable to communicate with HP scanning software." I have tried reloading the software using "AIO_CDA_Full_Network_enu.ex_" several times, to no avail. Any ideas what the problem might be? I tried disabling the "tablet function" as per one fix - no luck either.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 8 years ago.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
sorry for the delay (bedtime). i tried the "new" software download "AIO_CDA_Full_Network_enu_NB" (twice - cleaned & cleared toroughly each time) to no avail. Still getting the same error messages when i try to use the scan function.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 8 years ago.
try going to the cameras and scanners section in the control panel the scanner should be there. double click on it and see if you can scan directly from there.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The entry thru control panel gave me a scan. It still won't save to the computer, but i am able to save to a flash drive plugged into the printer/scanner. This got me thru my "emergency" - (daughter's wedding invitations), BUT . . . access/control of the scanner directly by the computer is still not happening. I will accept the answer as it got me thru the crisis, but the problem is still unsolved. Thanks for your input. It was timely and is very much appreciated.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 8 years ago.

thanks for the accept try reloading the software that you are using to scan from it seems the driver is ok but that is having a hard time hooking up to the driver.

do you have the hp director ? that is what usually runs the scanning on hp scanners.

you can also try going to the run box on the start menu and

typing services.msc run/ok

make sure that all microsoft services are running and startup type is automatic

some of them arent really needed for most computers but there might be a necessary one that is used to link the scanner driver to the graphics software that has stopped running