Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

i have a hp photosmart 7960 just replaced all ink cartridges…

Customer Question
i have a hp photosmart...
i have a hp photosmart 7960 just replaced all ink cartridges and it keeps telling me to replace them and it wont print
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
7/3/2010
Technician: tbwhite2040, Technician replied 8 years ago
tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Technician

Have you reset the ink levels on the printer?

i hit menue and it wont let me do that i just put all new cartridges in and it says print cartrigdges failed replace all cartridges if i hit menu it does nouthing
it isnt even hooked up to a computer i am just using a photo card and replaced all ink cartridges and it says cartridges failed replace all cartridges
Technician: Robert Preston, Technician replied 8 years ago
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
HelloCustomer

Welcome to JustAnswer Computers. I will be happy to help you with your computer problem today.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over. If for some reason it does not follow these instructions:
(a) Unplug the printer
(b) Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Thanks,
Robert Preston
The printer is 60 days old tried cleaning now it tells me only the red cartridge is bad but I can take it out and print in over ride mode still won't work
Sounds like a defective print head. If it's only 60 days old HP will replace it for free under warranty.