Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

why doesnt my printer work

Customer Question
why doesnt my printer work
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/30/2010
Technician: Robert Preston, Technician replied 8 years ago
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Robert Preston :

Could you elaborate please?

Robert Preston :

What's the brand and model of your computer and printer? What isn't working?

Customer:

hp office jet j 3600 does not print

Robert Preston :

Does it copy?

Customer:

no

Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over. If for some reason it does not follow these instructions:
(a) Unplug the printer
(b) Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.