Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a HP J4680 all in one printer/fax. I just need to send…

I have a HP J4680...
I have a HP J4680 all in one printer/fax. I just need to send and recieve faxes. Nither one is working. I get incoming faxes sometimes but most the time I get Error 232. On sending fax most the time I get "No ducument" messages. I need help. The fax has been doing this since we bought it. Help
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/30/2010
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Hello Sir or Madam,

Welcome to JustAnswer Printers & Office. I will be happy to help you with your problem today.
Solution
There are several possible solutions to this issue. Start with the first solution and then continue with the other solutions in the order presented until the issue is resolved. When the issue is resolved, there is no need to continue to troubleshoot.
NOTE: Print this document for reference by clicking Printable Version on this page.
Solution one: Use the HP Fax Test Service
HP has a Fax Test Service number to test HP fax products. This is available in the U.S. only. The telephone number for this service is 1-888-HPFaxme (1-888-473-2963). The fax service receives faxes and returns faxes within 5 to 7 minutes to the number contained in the fax header.
  1. Make sure that the fax header contains the full 10-digit telephone number of your HP fax product, including the area code. To modify the fax header, use the following steps:
    1. Press the Setup button ( ) on the product control panel.
    2. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Basic Fax Setup , and then press the right arrow ( ) to select Fax Header , and then press OK .
    3. Use the number buttons on the control panel that correspond to the appropriate letters to type personal or company information, and then press OK .
    4. Type the phone number, including area code, for your HP fax product, and then press OK .
  2. Dial 1-888-HPFaxme and send a one-page black and white fax to the HP Fax Test Service.
    NOTE: Make sure that your telephone number is XXXXX blocked by Caller ID before trying to use the HP Fax Test Service. In most areas, pressing *82 unblocks the Caller ID feature. Voice mail, call blocking, or other call privacy services provided by the telephone company might also prevent the HP fax product from receiving a fax.
If a return fax arrives within 5 to 7 minutes, the HP fax product is sending and receiving and you are done with this document and do not need to proceed. If a return fax does not arrive, there might be a problem with the setup of the HP fax product. Continue to "Solution two: Run a fax diagnostic test."
Solution two: Run a fax diagnostic test
Run a fax diagnostic test to make sure that the fax is set up correctly.
  1. Load plain white paper into the input tray.
  2. Press the Setup button ( ) on the product control panel.
  3. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Tools , and then press OK .
  4. On the Tools menu, press the right arrow ( ) to select Run Fax Test , and then press OK . The fax diagnostic test prints.
  5. Review the report.
    If the result of the fax diagnostic test is All Pass , go to "Solution four: Check VoIP digital telephone line" now.If the fax diagnostic test indicates that no dial tone is detected, continue to "Solution three: Check the telephone line and change the HP fax settings."
Solution three: Check the telephone line and change the HP fax settings
Obtain an ordinary single-line telephone to use to test the telephone line. Complete both steps of this solution.
Step one: Test the telephone line
  1. Disconnect the telephone cord from the back of the HP fax product.
  2. Make sure that the telephone cord has only two wires on the end and then connect it to the single-line telephone.
    Figure 1: Two-wire telephone cord
  3. Pick up the handset of the telephone and check for a dial tone.
      If there is a dial tone, continue to the next step.If there is no dial tone, contact the telephone service provider.
  4. On the single-line telephone, dial the fax number of the receiving fax machine.
      If the receiving fax machine answers the call, continue with the next step.If the receiving fax machine does not answer the call, try calling another fax. If the second receiving fax machine does not answer the call, contact the telephone service provider.
  5. Hang up the single-line telephone.
  6. Use a second telephone line or a cellular telephone to call the telephone number assigned to the HP fax product.
      If the single-line telephone rings and can be answered, continue to "Step two: Change the HP fax settings."If the single-line telephone does not ring, replace the telephone cable with a new two-wire telephone cord and then call that telephone number again. If the single-line telephone still does not ring, contact the telephone service provider.
Step two: Change the HP fax settings
  1. Disconnect the telephone cord from the single-line telephone and then plug it into the 1-Line port on back of the HP fax product.
  3. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Basic Fax Setup or Advanced Fax Setup , and then press the right arrow ( ) again to change the menu option settings to the settings listed in the following table.
    Fax menuFax menu optionSetting
    Basic Fax SetupRings to Answer1 or 2 (At least one more ring than a telephone answering machine, if an answering machine is connected.)
    Advanced Fax SetupDistinctive RingAll Rings
  4. Use the HP Fax Test Service to try to send and receive a fax.
If the HP fax product still cannot send or receive a fax, continue to the next solution.
Solution four: Check VoIP digital telephone line
NOTE: If using an analog telephone service, go to "Solution five: Reinitialize the HP fax" now.
Using a VoIP telephone service can cause faxing to fail because fax transmissions are sensitive to the timing of the signals used to transmit the fax. If using a VoIP digital line is necessary, changing the Fax Speed Adjustment setting to Medium might improve the ability to send a fax over a VoIP telephone line.
NOTE: Because HP fax products are designed to work with ordinary analog telephone service, HP cannot guarantee that the HP fax product will work with a VoIP service.
Use these steps to change the fax speed adjustment to a lower speed.
  2. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Advanced Fax Setup , and then press OK .
  3. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Fax Speed , and then press OK .
  4. Press the right arrow ( ) to select Medium , and then press OK .
  5. Use the HP Fax Test Service to try to send and receive a fax.If the HP fax product still cannot send or receive faxes, try lowering the fax speed even further. If needed, contact the VoIP provider as they might have options to improve the ability to send and receive faxes over VoIP telephone service.
Try to send and receive a fax again. If the HP fax product still cannot send or receive a fax, continue to the next solution.
Solution five: Reinitialize the HP fax
  1. With the HP fax product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the back of the HP fax product and from the electrical outlet.
  2. Connect one end of the telephone cord to the telephone jack and then connect the other end of the cord to the port labeled 1-Line on the back of the HP fax product.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the HP fax product and then reconnect the power cord to the electrical outlet.
  4. After the HP fax product reaches a ready state, use the HP Fax Test Service to try to send and receive a fax again.
Solution six: Check the fax connections
  1. Disconnect the telephone cord from the HP fax product and examine the connector on the end of the cord. Make sure that the cord has only two wires.
    Figure 2: Two-wire telephone cord
    Figure 3: Four-wire telephone cord
    If the cord has four wires, replace it with a cord that has two wires.
    NOTE: If a four-wire cord is required, use the converter that shipped with the HP fax product. The converter allows a cord with four wires to work with a HP product that requires a cord with two wires.
    Figure 4: Fax only
    1 - Telephone jack
    2 - Two-wire telephone cord to 1-Line
  3. Connect a single-line telephone to the 2-Ext port on the HP fax product.
    Figure 5: Fax and telephone
    1 - Telephone jack
    2 - Two-wire telephone cord to 1-Line
    3 - Telephone from 2-Ext
    If other devices need to use the same telephone jack, make sure that they are connected to the 2-Ext port on the back of the HP fax product.
    Figure 6: Fax with answering machine and telephone
    1 - Telephone jack
    2 - Two-wire telephone cord to 1-Line
    3 - Answering machine from 2-Ext
    4 - Optional telephone
  4. Pick up the telephone receiver and listen for a dial tone. Make sure that you can dial out using the telephone keypad.If there is a dial tone and you can dial out using the telephone, the HP fax product is connected correctly to a working telephone cord and telephone jack. If there is no dial tone, check the configuration again and make sure that it is set up correctly.
  5. Use the HP Fax Test Service to try to send and receive a fax again.
Solution seven: Remove any other devices from the telephone line
  1. If any other devices, such as a telephone, a telephone answering machine, or a modem, are connected to the telephone line, remove each device.
    NOTE: Remove each device even if the device is in another room connected to another telephone jack or connected using a line splitter.
  3. Use the HP Fax Test Service to try to send and receive a fax.
Solution eight: Reset the HP fax
Perform a partial reset to restore the fax settings to the default values.
CAUTION: Performing a partial reset might remove all speed dials and other fax settings. It might be necessary to reset the language and country/region settings after the partial reset is complete. Perform a partial reset only as a last resort.
  1. Remove all of the paper loaded in the main input tray.
  2. Press the power button ( ) to turn off the HP fax product.
  3. Disconnect the USB cable from the back of the HP fax product.
  4. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the HP fax product and from the electrical outlet, and then wait one minute.
  5. Reconnect the power cord to the electrical outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the HP fax product.
  7. Press the power button ( ) to turn on the HP fax product.
  8. Reconnect the USB cable to the back of the HP fax product.
  9. Replace the paper in the main input tray.
  10. Use the HP Fax Test Service to try to send and receive a fax.
Solution nine: Service the product
If you have completed all the steps listed above and are still experiencing a problem, service the product.

Thanks,
Robert Preston
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
AnswerManCharles
AnswerManCharles, Technician

this should have been an information request.

Edited by charles_ebs on 6/30/2010 at 6:10 PM EST

Could you explain your situation a little more?

What type of phone service do you have?