Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My HP 940c printer has the out-of-ink light flashing, and the…

My HP 940c printer has...
My HP 940c printer has the out-of-ink light flashing, and the yellow arrow indicates a problem with the #78 tri-color ink cartridge. There is a new black cartridge installed. However, neither an older color cartridge nor a brand new color cartridge fixes the problem. Any ideas? Time for a new printer? Thanks.
6/29/2010
John, Computer Science Engineer

Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

What Operative System version do you have ? (Windows XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, etc?)

Thank you
w/2000 prof

Ok, please follow the steps below to uninstall the printer software completely and then re-install it:

1- Unplug your printer from the computer

2- Uninstall the HP printer software going to Start, Control Panel, Uninstall a Program (or Add/Remove programs if you have XP or 2000)

3- Go to Start, Control Panel, Printers and delete your printer(s) (right click, then delete or remove)

4- Restart the computer.

5- Download the newest driver here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=dj1201en&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=181&product=59129&sw_lang=

And click the "Install now" OR "Download only>>" button. When the download is over please run the file

Select OPEN or RUN if prompted

6- After the new driver is installed please restart your computer (BUT PLEASE BOOKMARK THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART)

7- Turn on your printer and plug in the USB cable to another available USB port in your computer

8- Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX give it a try and get back to you.

Regards, Tom

You are welcome!

Please keep me posted :-)

I did that and the problem still exists.

John, you know that is a software solution you gave me, and it seems to me it is an electro-mechanical problem in that, the printer still thinks it detects an ink cartridge problem (blinking ink light and yellow arrow pointing to color cartridge) even when my PC is powered down and the software drivers are inactive. Thanks.

Please remove the cartridges and then clean the printer contacts.

To clean the printer contacts, carefully look for fibers or contamination on the electrical contacts inside the carriage assembly, but do not wipe the printer contacts with any object. The contacts in the printer can be damaged if too much pressure is applied during a wiping process.

Try to remove any visible attached debris within the carriage assembly by gently pulling the debris off with your fingers. If the carriage contacts show noticeable damage, contact the HP Customer Care Center listed in the printer's User's Guide.

If no luck please follow the steps below:

HP Deskjet 900c series printers
  1. Click Start , Programs , click HP Deskjet 990C printer and then click HP Deskjet 990c series toolbox.
  2. Click the printer icon, located on the top right title bar.
  3. Click About .
  4. When the toolbox screen displays, hold CTRL on the keyboard and double-click the picture of the printer.
  5. Click Continue on the pop up box.
  6. Select Ultra Safe Mode for HP IO .
  7. Reboot the PC .

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

John, Computer Science Engineer

I'll get back to you later, must go do other things now.

Regards, Tom

Ok, please keep me posted

Thank you

John Cappucci

You worked on the problem and I'm authorizing payment for that effort. The problem is not solved. The printer indicates the problem is with the color cartridge and I really don't care about that as I rarely have a need for color, but the error prevents all printing, even black only. I tried another solution I found on the web -- cleaning the cartridge contacts & the printer-to-cartridge contacts with a damp swab -- that did not work either. The contacts show no discernable damage. The printer is several years old and I think the only solution is a new printer. However, I do read that HP does have a poor reputation for printers with many users. I think I will go with a different vendor next time.

Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Hello Sir or Madam,

Welcome to JustAnswer Printers & Office. I will be happy to help you with your problem today.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over. If for some reason it does not follow these instructions:
(a) Unplug the printer
(b) Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Thanks,
Robert Preston