Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Having troubles with the ADF on my HP2840. It will scan 1-2…

Customer Question
Having troubles with the ADF...
Having troubles with the ADF on my HP2840. It will scan 1-2 pages to the computer, then I get a communication failure on the computer. Connected using USB. Without changing anything, I can simple scan from the glass bed just fine, but not the ADF.

Can someone help?
Thank you,
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/29/2010
Technician: Sowrav D., Engineer replied 8 years ago
Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

Do you use Windows Vista as your operating System or Windows XP?
Windows 7 32 bit
Do you have upgraded Windows Vista to Windows 7 or it is pre installed on your PC?
Upgraded from Vista to Window 7
OK
Follow these steps to resolve the issue and let me know....

1. Run a command prompt as administrator. From the start menu, select All Programs , then Accessories , and then right-click the Command Prompt shortcut and choose Run As Administrator .

2. From here you can use the following command to disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) with the following command: bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

3. Keeping the command prompt open, try to scan

4. Then, to turn it back on again, do the same and run the following: bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

Edited by PrintingEx on 6/29/2010 at 6:47 PM EST
Unfortunately, it stops mid-way through the 3rd or 4th page still
What program do you use to scan documents?
Unfortunately, it stops mid-way through the 3rd or 4th page still with communication error..

The most current HP Scanning software from HP:
HP Color LaserJet 2840 series PCL6 / "HP Scanning"
Please let me know the exact error message that you get?
On the LCD on the printer: "Scanning Error Cannot Connect". Nothing on the PC the scan preview window on the PC is just sitting there, waiting for the printer...
I am out of ideas I will ope this question so that other experts can help you with this issue.

Thanks
Thank you. I am looking forward to a solution.
Is anyone able to help or should I ask for a refund?
Friday, July 02, 2010 3:13 PM EST

Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 8 years ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Whether to ask for a refund, under the circumstances, is not our/my decision but yours as a customer.

I would like to try to help with this case. You have described it rather well so far, what with the back-and-forth between you and the previous Expert on the case.

(I suddenly see how long you've been patient with JustAnswer's handling of the case... almost a whole month. That is very rare and praiseworthy... but if you want a refund, just ask. However, here's my attempt at helping with the case:)

In simple terms, your device can (I presume, if I've understood correctly) scan from the glass flatbed, in exactly the same way that it cannot scan from the ADF.
If this is the case, then please try this (since only one page can be scanned from the glass flatbed): try to scan only one page, through the ADF. It may seem purposeless, but if that succeeds it rules out any number of possible errors or error conditions. Reply back to me with info as to what happens, and I will continue with the case.

Also, in common-sense terms, the difference between the ADF scanning and the flatbed scan, is that one causes a lot more mechanical motion(s)... could the vibration of the ADF scan be jiggling anything? is the HP machine on a wobbly table? or anything like that... check, remedy, try again, report back to me if you like.

Is your computer low on memory?? doubtful, but maybe worth a check:
Start - Control Panel - System - reply back to me as to what type/version of Windows you have, and how much "RAM" is reported as being present and usable by Windows on your computer.

( HP's recommendation for the case is not very thorough-going (for them): check the cable between the printer and the PC (I would say, turn off the printer, disconnect the cable at both end, examine cable and cable ends and places both plug in, reconnect both ends, turn on printer, try again... probably won't help I doubt.)
After that HP says contact them for tech support service - at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=445194&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=445194&objectID=c00411492#HP_Customer_Care
You may or may not want to pursue that option. )

If this helps with the problem and answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.) And, favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)