Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My Xerox Phaser 7400 display is not working. It lights up,

My Xerox Phaser 7400 display...
My Xerox Phaser 7400 display is not working. It lights up, but there are no "words" - makes it kind of hard to troubleshoot.
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2010
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
This sort of problem is often a internal circuitry failure, sometimes owing to a power supply fault. You will undoubtedly have to put in a service call for a repair tech on this one - owing simply to it's having no specifics to deal with, except the likelihood of electronics complexities being rather 'off'.

The most you can do yourself aside from that, is likely just to think about what led up to the problem: local thunderstorm during operational hours, was it moved lately, is the power source well grounded (though even that is somewhat technical in nature, I mention it in case you know how to test for a good ground on the power source), operated in heated environment (which degrades any electronics by and by), etc ?

Consider also whether the machine is new enough to be within warranty (which would be nice for a service call, if the cost were covered under warranty) ?

If this answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.) And, favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Yes, we have had a lot of lighting/thunderstorms lately (I work at home) - but it is on a grounded special circuit that we had installed just for the printer. I figured I would have to make a service call, but wanted to make sure first. Thanks for your answer.

T
Under the circumstances that you describe, you might want to consider also putting it on a UPS-type isolating circuit power-filtering and -support device, esp. if the repairs turn out to be expensive-ish... it might justify the cost as a preventative investment, I can't judge whether or not from here, but you will undoubtedly know best whether or not it is.

Good luck with the service call, and thanks for the Accept.