Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My Dell 929 printer wont communicate with my Dell xps. It…

Customer Question
My Dell 929 printer won't...
My Dell 929 printer won't communicate with my Dell xps. It does most of the time and then suddenly stops communicating. I have tried all the connection changing the outlet its plugged into and restarting my system. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/29/2010
Technician: Michelle, Printer Expert replied 8 years ago
Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert

Hi

as this is an intermittent issue that happens on random, please make a check on the below setting.

click start...control panel...printers and devices...slect the printer and right click on the icon and check the status...it should appear as online.

unplug the printer cord and repeat the above steps to ensure that the printer status cahnges to offline and when the cord is plugged back in it goes to the online mode.

Ensure a secure physical connetion between the computer and the printer by reseating the cables.

Please install the printer drivers again from the printer cd.

Try restarting the print spooler service.

To do the same.

Click start

in the search box type services.msc

Click on the services option

in the window that appears locate the entry for print spooler.

Right click and select stop.

Close the window.

Repeat the above steps and this stime start the print spooler service.

do let me know if still the issue persists so that i can help you further on this.

Edited by PRINTERCAT on 6/29/2010 at 1:09 PM EST
Tried the first option and when I plugged the cord back in the pop up window telling me there is no communication popped up and the printer still shows offline

Please check the below settings .

Click start..

clcik control panel.

go to printers and devices.

right click on the printer and click properties.

Click the ports tab

ensure that Dell_... (Model#) Printer Port Dell AIO Printer 929 is checked.

If not please check that one removing checks from any other entry.

after that try printing a test page.

Also please make a check on the printer cable and port for any bent/ broken pins or physical damage visible.

do let me know if this does not work.

I gave you the wrong os it is windows xp

In Case of windows XP,

Click start...printers and faxes and then right click on the entry for the printer.

click properties.

Click the ports tab

after that try printing a test page.

do let me know if this does not work.

Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
OK the first two times I tried this-nothing. This is crazy but there was a power surge and the electricity went off for a few seconds. When it came back up the printer started printing. Now its working fine. I don't know if the information you gave me made the difference, but I will try it again next time I hav this problem. I have a feeling its going to be one of those days. Thanks for you patience and help.-cm

Thanks for the update.

do feel free to post back anytime you have any issues\queries.

Thanks for choosing Just answer.