Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

MP390,Bought 2004, My first problem,Red light flashing,put…

MP390,Bought 2004, My first problem,Red...
MP390,Bought 2004, My first problem,Red light flashing,put in cartridge, have not rremoved
print head since installation,please help.
6/29/2010
NeOh
NeOh, Engineer
Chat Conversation Started
NeOh :

hi, welcome to justanswer

NeOh
NeOh, Engineer
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Are you getting any error message on the screen ?
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Hello Sir or Madam,

Welcome to JustAnswer Printers & Office. I will be happy to help you with your problem today.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over. If for some reason it does not follow these instructions:
(a) Unplug the printer
(b) Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Thanks,
Robert Preston