Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

hp 3210 all in one photosmart prints half of page. if it requires…

Customer Question
hp 3210 all in one...
hp 3210 all in one photosmart prints half of page. if it requires 4 pages first 3 are blank first page comes out half page and not complete
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Technician: Sudipto, Engineer replied 8 years ago
Sudipto, Engineer
WELCOME TO JUST ANSWER!! My name isXXXXX will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

Do you use Windows XP or Vista?
win xp
Some of the following solutions require you to restart the computer. Consider bookmarking this page on your Web browser, so that you can reference it after restarting the computer.

Solution one: Check the ink levels

To allow for full use of the cartridges, some printers continue to print even after the cartridges are completely out of ink.Follow these steps to check the ink levels in the Toolbox . The Toolbox is part of the standard printer software. Depending on the version of Toolbox on your computer, the appearance of the Toolbox features might vary.
NOTE: Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When an indicator shows low ink levels, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. Print quality deteriorates as cartridges run out of ink.
  1. Click Start .
  2. Click Printers and Faxes .
  3. Right-click the icon for your printer ( ), and then click Printing Preferences .
  4. Click the Features tab.
  5. Click the Printer Services button. The Toolbox window opens.
  6. Click the Estimated Ink Levels tab. A window opens that indicates the estimated ink level of each cartridge.
    NOTE: Depending on the printer, the estimated ink level indicators can vary in appearance.
    Examples of estimated ink level indicators
    Example of an estimated ink level indicator.Example of an estimated ink level indicator.
  7. If the ink level indicators show that a cartridge is low or empty, replace the cartridge.
  8. Try printing again.
    If these steps resolved the issue , you do not need to continue troubleshooting.If the issue persists , continue to the next solution.
Solution two: Restart the printer

Restarting the printer might clear the issues and allow the printer to function correctly again.
  1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn off the printer.
    NOTE: Pressing the Power button might not turn off the printer. This might happen if the printer is in an error state. Continue with these steps regardless.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the printer.Figure 1: Disconnect the power cordIllustration of disconnecting the power cord from the printer.
  3. Disconnect the USB cable from the back of the printer.Figure 2: Disconnect the USB cableIllustration of disconnecting the USB cable.
  4. Wait 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect the USB cable to the printer.Figure 3: Reconnect the USB cableIllustration of reconnecting the USB cable.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the printer.Figure 4: Reconnect the power cordIllustration of reconnecting the power cord.
  7. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the printer.
  8. Try printing again.
Solution three: Restart the computer

Restarting your computer might resolve the issue.
  1. Save the latest changes to your files, and then close all your open programs.
  2. Click Start , and then click Shut Down . A dialog box opens.
  3. Select Restart . Most computers turn off, and then turn on again automatically.
    NOTE: If a dialog box opens with a message that it is now ok to turn off the computer, press the power button on the computer to turn it off. Then press the power button again to turn it on.
    After a few minutes, the computer is ready to print again.
  4. Reopen the file that you want to print, and then try printing again.
Solution four: Check for blank pages in the print preview

If the printer prints all pages correctly, but it adds blank pages to the printout, check for blank pages in the print preview.
  1. In most programs, click File , and then click Print Preview . If the program you are using does not have this option, consult the program manufacturer.
  2. Review the print preview for blank pages.
    If the print preview reveals blank pages, delete the blank pages in the document, and then try printing again.If the preview contains no blank pages, continue with the next solution.
Solution five: Check the printer cables

If the printer connects with a USB cable or an Ethernet cable, a faulty connection might cause the issue. Follow these instructions to check the printer cables.
  1. Make sure that the cable connector inserts all the way into its port on the back of the printer. Use some pressure to push it in all the way. If an Ethernet cable connector has a broken clip, replace the cable.Figure 5: Insert a USB cableIllustration of inserting a USB cable into the printer.Figure 6: Insert an Ethernet cableIllustration of inserting an Ethernet cable.
  2. Make sure that the cable connector inserts all the way into its port on the computer. Use some pressure to push it in all the way.
  3. If the issue persists, try replacing the cable with a known good cable.
Solution six: Check the printer settings on the computer

Issues with the printer settings on the computer might cause the issue. Follow these steps to check the computer.Step one: Check the default paper settingsMake sure that the default paper size matches the width and length of the paper loaded in the tray. If the paper loaded in the tray is different from the paper size setting, the printer might print blank pages. For instance, the issue might occur if legal size paper (215 x 355 mm (8.5 x 14 in)) is in the tray, and the paper size setting is letter (215 x 279 mm (8.5 x 11 in)).Follow these steps to check the default paper settings.
  1. Click Start .
  2. Click Printers and Faxes .
    NOTE: You might also click Control Panel , and then click Printers and Faxes .
  3. Right-click the icon for your printer ( ), and then click Printing Preferences . The Printing Preferences window opens.
  4. Click the Features tab.
  5. Compare the settings in the Size drop-down menu with the paper in the tray. If the size of the paper in the tray is not the same as the setting in the Size drop-down menu, change the setting:
    1. Click the Size drop-down list, and then select More . The Size is window opens.
    2. Select the size of the paper that is in the tray, and then click OK .
    3. Click OK in the Printing Preferences window, and then click OK in the Properties window.
Step two: Print a test pageFollow these steps in the order presented to print a test page. A test page might help determine if the printer installation caused the problem.
  1. Click Start , and then click Control Panel . The Control Panel opens in a new window.
  2. Right-click the Printers and Faxes folder ( ), and then click Open . The Printers and Faxes folder opens.
  3. Right-click the printer icon ( ).
  4. Click Properties . The Properties window opens.
  5. In the General tab, click Print Test Page . The printer prints the Windows XP Printer Test Page.Figure 7: Example of Windows XP Printer Test PageImage of an example Windows XP Printer Test Page.
    If the Windows XP Printer Test Page prints successfully, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.If the page is blank, continue to the next solution.
Solution seven: Print from an alternate program

Follow these steps to try printing from an alternate program, such as Microsoft Notepad or WordPad, to determine if the current program is causing the issue.
  1. Browse to the location of your saved document, right-click the file, and then click Open With . A window opens with a list of programs.
  2. Select a program other than the program you are currently using to print the document.
  3. Open the file in the program, and then check the contents.
    NOTE: Most files open in plain text applications, such as Notepad or WordPad, even if the contents include unusual symbols or text that does not make sense.
  4. Try to print the file:
    1. Click File , and then click Print . The Print window opens.
    2. Select your HP printer from the Select Printer drop-down menu, and then click OK .
    If successful, the printer prints exactly what displays in the program window.
      If the document prints successfully in the alternate program, you do not need to continue troubleshooting. The issue is likely specific to the program you are trying to print from. Consult the program manufacturer for assistance.If the document still prints blank pages in the alternate program, continue to the next solution.
Solution eight: Disconnect other devices

Other connected devices, such as scanners, MP3 devices, or other printers might cause conflicts in the communication between the printer and the computer. Follow these steps to disconnect other devices from the computer.
  1. Click the Safely Remove Hardware button ( ) in the taskbar. A list of devices displays.
  2. Click a device to remove. A message displays that indicates you can safely remove the device.
  3. Disconnect the device.
  4. Repeat these steps for each device you want to remove.
    NOTE: If the printer connects to a USB hub, try removing the USB hub, and then connect the printer directly to the computer.
  5. Try to print the file again.
    If these steps resolved the issue , you do not need to continue troubleshooting.If the issue persists , continue to the next solution
    Solution nine: Make sure that the computer has available hard drive space

Printing requires the computer to have a certain amount of available hard drive space to process print jobs and to send them to the printer.Step one: Check the virtual memory settingsVirtual memory is the temporary disk space on the hard drive that processes print jobs. It usually requires at least 200 MB of disk space but might require more or less depending on the printer. Insufficient virtual memory might cause the issue.Follow these steps to check and modify the amount of the virtual memory available.
  1. Click Start , right-click My Computer , and then click Properties .
  2. Click the Advanced tab.
  3. In the Performance section, click Settings .
  4. Click the Advanced tab.
  5. In the Virtual memory section, click Change . For correct configuration, the Initial size and Maximum size settings must be less than the Space available on the hard drive.If the Space available on the hard drive is less than 200 MB , skip to the next step. Follow the instructions to clear space on the hard drive, and then start these steps over. The Initial size setting is the amount of space reserved for virtual memory on the hard drive. The Initial size setting should be about 200 MB, and greater than or equal to the recommended paging file size shown in the lower section of the dialog box.The Maximum size setting can be any number greater than the Initial size setting, but it should be at least twice the Initial size setting.
  6. Change the settings as necessary to conform to the information in this step.
  7. Click Set , and then click OK .
  8. Try printing again.
    If these steps resolved the issue , there is no need to continue troubleshooting.If the issue persists , see the next step.
Step two: Run Disk Cleanup to remove temporary filesFollow these steps to run Disk Cleanup.
  1. Click Start , click Programs , click Accessories , click System Tools , and then click Disk Cleanup . Disk Cleanup prompts you to select a drive to clean.
  2. Select the hard drive, and then click OK . Disk Cleanup analyzes the hard drive and presents a report.
  3. Select the following items from the report:
      Temporary Internet FilesDownloaded Program FilesRecycle BinTemporary Files
  4. Click OK .
Step three: Remove unnecessary software programsFollow these steps to remove unnecessary software programs.
  • Click Start , click Settings , click Control Panel , and then click Add/Remove Programs .
  • Select a software program to remove, and then click Add/Remove .
  • Repeat these steps for all software programs you want to remove.
  • If you remove large software programs, run Scan Disk and Defrag on the hard disk drive. Look for these options in the System Tools section of Accessories

Source:HP Support

Edited by Sudipto on 6/28/2010 at 9:17 PM EST