Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

lexmark fax says modem in use or no connection - I have deleted

Customer Question

lexmark fax says modem in use or no connection - I have deleted modem and reinstalled lexmark imaging and fax - modem dags says all is ok. I have rebooted and still get no connect error. fax tools sees modem but still get no connect.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 8 years ago.
check the phone line that it is connected to.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The phone line was the first thing I checked. I can recieve incoming fax. The outgoing process seems to act like there is a fax wating to be sent. I completely deleted the lexmark printer and fax thrn deleted modem,. Rebooted and modem was installed - then reinstalled all lexmark from cd. checked for driver updates - still get error "no connection"
Expert:  Robert M. replied 8 years ago.

can you send a fax from the printer manually ?

check your fax sending software to make sure that you dont have another modem installed ( there might be one built into the computer ) and that is what it is trying to use.

also check silly things like the number is XXXXX and it is not automatically adding an extra 1 to get a long distance number when you are sending locally

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I dont think you have a clue as what the problem is, The lexmark 2500 doesn't have a modem. the software converts a scan so it can be sent by fax. Then the lexmark fax software connects thru the PCs internal modem. The PC modem works with incoming fax. So what I have don is, scan in what I want to send then use a free fax sofware package to send any thing I need. So I use a workaround. There are no simple answers to a possible software corrupt problem. I even webt to the website and downloaded the lexmark drivers and installed them after deletinf the modem an d all lexmak programs. And still have to use the workaround,

Expert:  Robert M. replied 8 years ago.

are you using vista ? there is a known problem with the fax driver in vista. you need to visit the windows update site and do all of the vista upgrades. ( in the ie tools / windows update )

then uninstall and reinstall the printer here are very specific instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling that particular printer. do the windows updates after you have uninstalled it and before you reinstall it. disconect the usb cable so it does not reinstall itself until you want it to.

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-print-fax/831221.htm

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I said the fax works with my workaround -- since this site has been absolutely no help -= I have enough knowledge on using updates and installs. You are just shooting in the dark so please do not offer me any more useless information.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 8 years ago.

actually i am only shooting in the dark so much as you havent given me all of the relavent information. there IS a known problem with vista. the solution is to update the vista via the windows update site and then reinstall the drivers.

if i have to guess whether you have vista or not because you did not fill out that part of the information then i guess i have to shoot in the dark. or at least deep grey

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This site has been no help at all - you keep stating there is something wrong with updates or drivers. I always have kept up with updates and drivers. Since I have a workaround that does the same thing I do not need any further useless advice.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This site has not been any benefit - so there is no use in sending any other replies.