Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a canon pixma MP470 printer. I installed a new printer…

Customer Question
I have a canon pixma...
I have a canon pixma MP470 printer. I installed a new printer cartridge and got a 5100 message. I went back to the store and they gave me a new one but I still get the same signal. I need my printer and hate to think of having to buy a new one because I really like the machine. Can you please help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/28/2010
Technician: Robert Preston, Technician replied 8 years ago
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Robert Preston :

Hello

Robert Preston :

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over. If for some reason it does not follow these instructions:
(a) Unplug the printer
(b) Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Customer:

Did not work!!!!

Customer:

Tried to use print head cleaner on menu but only got the same 5100 code.

Customer:

Still does not work.

Robert Preston :

Ok then the print head will have to be replaced.

Robert Preston :

You can get a new one here:

Robert Preston : (NNN) NNN-NNNNCall Canon there
Robert Preston :

And they will replace it

Customer:

How much do they cost? Why did it work fine unitil I changeg the cartridge?

Robert Preston :

It depends on their stock and the model so you'll have to call.

Robert Preston :

Most likely it was just coincidental timing

Robert Preston :

5100 is a carriage error and is the printhead 99% of the time

Customer:

I just spoke with parts department and they said that the print head is attached to the ink cartridge and so that cannot be the problem, it must be another part.

Customer:

Am I not going to get an answer, I am not going to accept answer since you all tell me something different and it still does not work!!!!

Robert Preston :

Ok, well the answer I gave you is correct.

Robert Preston :

Canon is wrong.

Robert Preston :

5100 is a carriage error, this is pulled DIRECTLY from their service manual.

Robert Preston :

But if you don't want to accept my correct answer then ok.