Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an HP Photosmart C5280 All-in -one Printer.Now Im getting…

Customer Question
I have an HP Photosmart...
I have an HP Photosmart C5280 All-in -one Printer.Now I`m getting a message on the screen "Print Cartridges,Refer to Printer Documentation".The Printer does not respond to any prompts!

I purchased two new cartridges (HP74 & HP75) and installed them but the problem is still there.

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/28/2010
Technician: tbwhite2040, Technician replied 8 years ago
tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Technician

Here is a link to HP that describes your problem and gives you some troubleshooting methods to try to resolve your issue.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01838948&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3204464

Have tried the troubleshooting methods but the problem is still there.
What next??
Technician: AnswerManCharles, Technician replied 8 years ago
AnswerManCharles
AnswerManCharles, Technician
Hello this is Charles with Just Answer,

1.Take out both print cartridges
2. Unplug the printer.
3. Clean the gold contacts on the printer and the cartridge. Verify the shipping tape was removed at installation.
4. Reinstall the clean cartridges.
5. Plug the printer in and power up.

Let me know what you find.
I hope this helps. If you are happy with my answer please accept it, this is how I get paid for my efforts. If it does not work message me back because I want to help you succeed.

Thank you,
Charles
Hi Charles,
Please note that since I got the printer 9 months ago it worked ok until a few days ago when I got this message on the screen. So I removed the old cartridges and installed new ones.But the problem is still there.

I have tried the cleaning process and the unpluging of the computer when I got the new cartridges, but so far it does not work. I also checked the expiry dates on the cartridges and its ok till 2011.

I`m at a loss.
So you have cleaned the gold/ copper electric contacts on the printer? Cartridges are firmly seated? Normally this error us an indication of of a bad connection of one of the electrical contacts. If you have already cleaned the contacts i would recommend cleaning them a second time. I like to use alcohol and a lint free cloth.

Turn off the printer and unplug the power cable and the USB cable from the back of the printer. Then on your computer find the control panel and Programs and Features to uninstall your printer drivers. Once the printer drivers are uninstalled go to the link below to download the latest drivers and software for your printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-51074-5&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2093&product=3204464

Install the drivers and software following the instructions. If you have any problems installing the drivers and software and your printer let me know and I will assist you further. If you get the printer installed and still receive the same error message, then your printer needs to be repaired or replaced.