Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Lexmark Pro 905 in WA and i can not send or receive…

Customer Question
I have a Lexmark Pro...
I have a Lexmark Pro 905 in WA and i can not send or receive faxes, yet i can send them to eastern states! Any idears?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
Technician: Robert M., Consultant replied 8 years ago
Robert M., Consultant

if you mean you can not send to local numbers but you can send long distance you probably have it set to automatically append a 1 to the front of the number to access long distance and have not set your home area code so that it appends the 1 to your own area code as well and the call does not complete.

as to receiving faxes you probably need to either have it set to automatic pick up or hit the start fax button when the phone is ringing for an incoming fax.

It connects to the local faxes then comes up with FAX MODEM ERROR,

And it is already set to Auot Answer On.

tell me exactly what happens on incoming faxes

outgoing local faxes

outgoing long distance faxes

thank you

Incoming call, shows me the incoming phone number then connecting for about 30 seconds the comes up with fax modem error.

The same wtih outgoing faxes.

Long distance, connecting , then fax sent.

Gut me buggered.

is it a lot of people long distance or just a few. i think it may be a coincidence. there are different fax modes and speeds. your machine may be incompatible with some of the newer faster modes and the one you are linking to long distance is an older compatible fax.

Tried the long distance one a couple ot times and works every time,

Tried a few local ones and will not send/receive.

but it is only one number that you have called long distance ?
Yes.just the one munber long distance

i suspect it has to do with the transmission speed or the type of fax it is trying to conect to. or the phone lines themselves

here is a firmware update for that printer i dont know that it will help this particular issue but it might

http://support.lexmark.com/index?id=SO5245&locale=en&productCode=LEXMARK_PLATINUM_PRO905&segment=SUPPORT&page=content&actp=HOTTIPS&userlocale=EN_US

you can also try dropping the baud rate down.

Checked the firmware version and its got the latest version, also tried slowing the buad rate down. Made no differance.

i think that you either have a defective printer or it is just not compatible with many fax machines. however i am going to opt out and maybe somebody else here has a better idea