Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

When I got a message that my color ink cartridge needed replaced,

Customer Question
I proceeded to get a...
When I got a message that my color ink cartridge needed replaced, I proceeded to get a new cartridge ready to install. However, when I lifted the printer access door, the carriage did not move to the center to allow access to the printer cartridge. It sits off to the left and cannot be reached. I don't understand why it doesn't move to the center like it's supposed to. I have only had the printer a short while, but long enough to install one black cartridge (it worked perfectly then).
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/26/2010
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 8 years ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Okay, as to the carriage not moving, there are a few possibilities:

- Make sure the printer is plugged in, and powered ON, before you open the printer access door. The carriage cannot move itself without power to the printer workings.

- When the printer access door is opened, look inside and make sure there is no debris in the printer that would jam the carriage from moving! (if it won't move itself when the door is opened, well, turn it off and unplug it before doing this. For safety.)

- If the printer carriage won't move, then (with the printer off and unplugged) see if you can move it by hand... if not it is jammed somehow. (Already? in which case, if it is - presumably - within its warranty period, you might want to either return it under warranty as defective, or else get free warranty service done on it.)

If this answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.) And, favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)