Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Cannon MP510 printer connected to a MAC OSX. When…

Customer Question
I have a Cannon MP510...
I have a Cannon MP510 printer connected to a MAC OSX.
When I replaced the Magenta cartridge with an after market type (Same as the other cartridges already in the printer) all of the ink lamps have gone out and the display in the printer says U150. "The following ink tanks cannot be recognized" When I go into Utilities I ket an error message 1410. Ink tank error has occurred. Replace the cartridges.
As a new set of Cannon cartridges cost about half the price of a new printer and even then the printer may not work can you suggest how the problem can be resolved before I swear never to buy a Cannon printer again.

Thanks

Ray H
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/26/2010
Technician: John, Computer Science Engineer replied 8 years ago
John, Computer Science Engineer
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please follow the steps below:

1- Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine

2- Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself

*** Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab

3- If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them

4- Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 70 seconds

5- Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message

6- Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there

7- If it is please return the Magenta cartridge because it is defective.

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Hi John,
I have cleaned everything, switched it off and unplugged it. On switching it back on again all I get is the U150 comment and nothing to say insert the cartridges. The XXXXX XXXXXght is also on, same as before.
Putting the cartridges back in makes no difference.

When I click on supply levels I get the answer "Information not available" It's as though the computer cannot see the cartridges.

Also the menu button on the top of the printer does nothing.

Have you got any other ideas. No hurry tonight as I have an early start in the morning and i need some sleep

Regards

I think the remanufacturated ink cartridge is defective. That's why you get the "The following ink tanks cannot be recognized" message.

You should return it and get a new one.

Thank you

John Cappucci
Hello Sir/Madam Smile

Have you tried my solution ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
Hi John,

I have borrowed original Cannon cartridges from a friend and still none of the ink lamps are illuminated so getting new cartridges is unlikely to make any different.

I have also downloaded the latest software for the printer.

Is there some way you can do some diagnostic work pressing and holding certain buttons on the printer control panel. I remember seeing something on a website about this once.

I hope you can come up with some advice.

Regards

That's weird.

Please follow ALL the steps below (Canon procedure for error U150):

1. Confirm that the printer is powered on and open the paper output tray.

2. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. (The print head will move to the replacement position.)

Note: When the scanning unit (printer cover) is opened more than ten minutes, the print head moves to the right side. If this occurs, close the scanning unit (printer cover), and open it again.

3. Open the inner cover.

4. Press the ink tank's tab (1), then remove it from the slot (2).

5. Unpack the ink tank and pull the orange tape off completely in the direction of the arrow and remove the film.

Note: Tear the orange tape carefully along the dotted line. If the orange tape remains, printing problems may occur.

<4> Tape is completely removed.

<5> Tape remains. Remove the orange protective cap located on the bottom of the ink tank by twisting as shown in the diagram.

Caution: Do not touch the ink tank contact <6>. Doing so may cause printing problems. Do not squeeze the side of ink tanks as this may cause the ink to leak out. Do not reattach the protective cap once you have removed it.

6. Insert ink tanks into the print head.

Note: Press the mark <PUSH> on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.

7. Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.

<1> The ink tanks are installed properly.

<2> The ink tanks are not installed properly.

Note: Click for Ink Tank Lamp indications.

8. Close the inner cover and the scanning unit (printer cover).

Caution: When closing the scanning unit (printer cover), be careful not to jam fingers.

Memo: The next printing begins, the print head cleaning will begin automatically.

Ink Tank Lamp indications

You can check the status of each ink tank according to the way its lamp flashes.

• On: The printer is ready to print.
  • Slow flashing (at about three second interval): Ink is low. Prepare a new ink tank.
  • Fast flashing (at about one second interval): Ink tank is empty, or the printer is not ready due to an error.
  • Off: An error has occurred and the printer is not ready to print.

Source: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=SupportDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=238&modelid=13589

Thank you

John Cappucci

Hello Sir/Madam Smile

Have you tried my solution ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I have followed the steps mentioned above. I have not bought new cartridges as all the cartridges are nearly new.

As mentioned before none of the ink tank lamps are illuminated. It was after a new cartridge was fitted that the other lamps stopped working as well as the printer.

Any more suggestions.

Thanks

Do you still get the U150 error ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
Yes
The following ink tank cannot be recognized

ray

I am sorry but I am out of ideas. I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you.

Thank you
Thanks John,

You are very welcome! Smile
Technician: Robert Preston, Technician replied 8 years ago
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
HelloCustomer

Welcome to JustAnswer Printers & Office. I will be happy to help you with your problem today.

If you've followed all of the steps above, you will need to replace the printhead.

You can purchase a new one here:
Click Here

Thanks,
Robert Preston
This may be the right answer but I do not think it is worth buying a new printer head when I can buy a new printer which will be guaranteed to work.

Thanks
ray
Ok, well you are correct that is the right answer.

Rob