Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a 1996 HP Laser Jet 4 Plus that has stopped printing.

Customer Question
I have rebooted and reinstalled...
I have a 1996 HP Laser Jet 4 Plus that has stopped printing. I have rebooted and reinstalled the drivers. It is connect to a Dell dimension E520 running Winndows XP. What do I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/25/2010
Technician: Deependra, Technician replied 8 years ago
Deependra
Deependra, Technician

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Are you getting any error messages.When did this problem start. Please tell me the status of the lights on the printer.

Yes I get an error message. We first noticed this last week.The ready and on line lights are on.

Please tell me what is the error message.

It say Error Printing, that was on the test page, and there is nothing in the "status" for the other job waiting to print.

Please download and install the driver from the link. And then try. Thanks.

I down loaded the post script, what od I do next as it is still not printing.

Right click on mycomputer icon on the desktop and click on properties. And under properties clickon the Device Manager.
With Device Manager open, locate the hardware device that you want to update the drivers for i.e. HP Laser Jet 4 Plus printer.
Note: Navigate through the categories of hardware devices by clicking the [+] icon. Specific hardware devices are listed under the major hardware categories.
After finding the hardware you're updating drivers for, right click on the hardware's name or icon and choose Properties. In this Properties window, click the Driver tab.
Click the Update Driver... button. The Hardware Update Wizard will begin.
To the "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?" question, choose the No, not this time radio button and then click the Next > button.
To the "What do you want the wizard to do?" question, choose the Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) radio button and then click the Next > button.
The next window that appears will be the Please choose your search and installation options. window containing several radio buttons and checkboxes.
Choose the Don't search. I will choose the driver to install. radio button and then click the Next > button.
Now locate the driver where you have downloaded it.
CLick on next and follow the instructions. Thanks.

The laser jet does not show in the devic e manager
Technician: AnswerManCharles, Technician replied 8 years ago
AnswerManCharles
AnswerManCharles, Technician
-Could you explain your situation a little more? Can you print a test page from the printer menu?

That is the problem, nothing will print. When I go into printers and faxes and click on the (HP Laser Jey 4 Plus) It shows there is an error in printing (test page), and nothing for the other jobs waiting to be printed.

Hello this is Charles with Just Answer,

Are you using IE8?

I believe the problem is being caused by IE8. I have had several HP printers with the same symptom and one report of problem solved after uninstalling IE8. I would try uninstalling IE8.

Let me know what you find.
I hope this helps.  If you are happy with my answer please accept it, this is how I get paid for my efforts. If it does not work message me back because I want to help you succeed.

Thank you,
Charles 
How do I uninstall IE8?
1. Close all programs. 2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. 3. Click Add or Remove Programs. 4. In the list of currently installed programs,
click Windows Internet Explorer 8, and then click Remove. Note If Windows Internet Explorer 8 does not appear in the list of installed
updates, try the alternative steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server
2003. 5. Follow the instructions to uninstall
Internet Explorer 8. 6. When the uninstall program is finished,
restart your computer.
I got backed up as I am in school. I did everything you said to do. My laser jet does not print.

How is this connected? Is it a USB to parallel adapter? If so the adapter driver may be the issue.

no parallel