Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Hi, In my printers and faxes window my HP LaserJet 4L is…

Customer Question
Hi, In my printers and faxes...

In my printers and faxes window my HP LaserJet 4L is showing "out of paper" but everything seems to be fine at the printer end, and the system knows it's online. It happened once before, and I fiddled with all kinds of things and got it to work again but nothing I try now works.

Many thanks for your help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
Technician: AnswerManCharles, Technician replied 8 years ago
AnswerManCharles
AnswerManCharles, Technician

Hello this is Charles with Just Answer,

Check the manual feed tray and if it is out of paper, try adding some. Try printing a test page from the printer menu. Check to make sure the paper tray is in good shape and the paper is lifting up to the rollers when you push it in.

Hope this helps.

Please accept my answer, this is how that I get paid for my work and please leave positive feedback for me. I am available for follow up questions or for further comment if needed.

Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue. Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer. Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

Thank You,

Charles

I would be more than happy to accept your answer and bonus you to higher level, however you may notice form my question details follow-up I had already tried everything you suggest and then some (please see my already tried comments), so your answer is something I have already tried without success.

If you can come up with some other idea(s) that at least begins to work even partially, I would accept it and gladly compensate you accordingly. I don't for one minute expect you to do your job for just good wishes as I respect that your efforts on my behalf and willingness to keep trying, as I respect that you do this to make you're living and are a competent professional.

Thanks,

Sorry, I should have read your already tried more carefully. I will post more shortly and i am leaving it open for another expert.
Okay, thanks for trying again. Looking forward to hearing a solution to my little problem.
OK, I believe this is a communication problem. Lets try shutting down the computer and painter. Disconnecting and reconnecting the parallel cable. It would be a good idea to disconnect the parallel port on the computer mother board and try a different slot for the connection. Also if there are still no good results it could be a bad printer cable.
Thanks Charles,

Yes indeed, I think your latest comments are really promising and headed in the right direction. The only hesitation I have, is I'm not really happily disposed to crawling under the furniture to open the box and pull out the port, but if it has to be done, I'll figure out how to get it done - isn't that why teenagers were invented, that is if you can nail them down for a while? Also, If just fiddling doesn't work, I'll have to source a new cable - do they still make them? I hope so. Since everything's gone USB I can't recall seeing one for a long time.

Sheesh, I just had a horrible thought. The computer knows the printer is there, so at least some of the pins have to be working - perhaps it's just a pin or something.

Anyhow Charles, the main thing I wanted to say is that we're just about to head out for the weekend, so I won't be around the computer till Monday, just so I don't give you the impression that I grabbed your solution and ran away. Like I said, this idea seems promising, and also, if it is the solution I will of make sure your services are compensated for at the initial level with an additional bonus to come for a job well done.

Have a great weekend.

Thanks for youe efforts on my behalf.

Are you using IE8?

I believe the problem is being caused by IE8. I have had several HP printers with the same symptom and one report of problem solved after uninstalling IE8. I would try uninstalling IE8.

Have a great weekend!
Charles,

I took a quick look at e-mail since coming back yesterday, and realized I was late in the reply I promised you. Please know that I haven't forgotten about you, but am dealing with a serious family problem which is at highest priority right now, with worrying about getting my printer working again being a low one. I will get back to it and you as soon as I reasonably can.

Thanks for your understanding,

Ok, No problem.