Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

using a photo proof sheet, the printer will print OK from the…

Customer Question
using a photo proof sheet...
using a photo proof sheet, the printer will print OK from the top three rows but will not print from the bottom two rows. up to last week I have printed from all locations from the proof sheet with no problems Joe Kochhan
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2010
Technician: Robert M., Consultant replied 8 years ago
Robert M., Consultant
check the page size settings under print format
Sorry, no dice, Robert I have no problem printing from the top three rows yet on the same photo proof sheet, I can not print from the bottom two rows. All this happens with my computer turned off. You say "check paper size settings" Where do I find these on my printer? Jo Kochhan

do you get any error messages ? there are a few things that could be causing it.

first all of the photos must be jpg or tiff format. if the ones on the bottom of the sheet happened to be in another format they wont print.

they need to be on the memory card. the proof sheet needs to be printed. then it needs to be scanned again before it can print. it is possible the default scan settings are set wrong and it is not rescanning the entire proof sheet.

how large is the sheet. it should automatically scan and print up to letter size

there is a button for paper size on the front of the printer make sure it is set to letter. E4 for example is slightly smaller.

manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00694908.pdf

diagnostic utility for the printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=49726&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1146353&lang=en

Robert

re yuor second reply,

-

- No error messages remember the printer is not attached to the computer

--All pictures are from the same memory card and taken from the same camera within an hour or two

--I am using an 8 1/2 by 11 proof sheet

--Where on my printer is the E 4 button located?

--Note that when I place a letter size of text under the printer cover, I can print perfect letter size copies, top to bottom of the sheet, color or black ink.

HELP! Joe

there is a page size button on the front of the printer.

what exactly happens when you try to print

Robert I find no buttton on the face of my printer. Is it inside the case?

When I try to print 4 x 6 color prints, after properly running a proof sheet, marking up the sheet to indicate the prints and quantities required, placing the sheet face down, with memory card inserted, the proper size of photo paper placed on tne tray, I depress the Proof Sheet button on the printer control panel

The printer responds and prints all the designated prints , FROM THE TOP THREE ROWS ONLY. Then the printer stops. If I make up another proof sheet and mark up ONLY the pictures that were not printed, those on the bottom two rows on the proof sheet, the printer does not respond when I push the proof sheet button. Yet as I have noted, I can copy a full size page of text with no problem. Help! Joe

it may be something silly or there may be a problem with the printer or the memory card.

here is a diagram of the control panel i would check the border settings the page size settings and the size settings.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00657802&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1146353

when you say you mark up the photos do you actually draw on the actual proof? it may not be able to reckognize it. seems strange that it would only be the bottom rows though. it may just be a limitation of the printer.

this is a link to hp tech chat

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=1146353&lang=en

Edited by Robert on 6/24/2010 at 9:34 PM EST

Robert Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX solution. Yes, I mark up the desired photos in the ovals below the thumbnail, both the printed ones and the ones that don't print. The top three rows print, the bottom two rows don't. This problem arose only two weeks ago. Before that on thousands of prints, no problem. I've tried different models of memory cards, same result. And the rpinter copies a lettersize sheet with text top to bottom, color or black, no problem. I've written three books on this printer without a hitch. I've worked with computers since the Raywind monster at the U of P, with the old Texas Instrument British system that used a TV and a tape recorder, no printer. For a couple of years I taught a basic class at night at a local university------ and I'm completely stumped. I've checked all th HP manuals. I'll try to reach the techies address after I hook up the proper browser. If you have any wild ideas in the middle of the night, send them along.

But thanks for trying Joe

only thing that i can think of is it is not doing a good scan on that section of the page. clean the glass ?