Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

We presently have an EPSON DFX-8500 Track Feed Printer and…

Customer Question
We presently have an EPSON...
We presently have an EPSON DFX-8500 Track Feed Printer and love it. Our company just purchased ORACLE Software and I now have to purchase a printer that is PCL4 Compliant. Our printer must be able to track feed continuous form computer paper. Our present EPSON does the job but is not PCL4 Compliant. Could you please tell me what model
EPSON Printer I should buy that is PCL4 Compliant that is comparable to our DFX-8500?

HELP I need a new printer!!!
[email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/24/2010
Technician: Robert M., Consultant replied 8 years ago
Robert M., Consultant

the dfx 9000 is probably the new version of it. i am trying to find out if it is pcl4 compliant but i think that is an hp laserjet protocol. i am not sure that any epson will be.

for a dot matrix form printer it really should not have to be. you just have to send characters and line feeds to the printer you dont need all the font vecters etc that pcl4 entails.

i suspect the software either has a facility to send plain text to a form printer or it is designed to use a laserjet printer and print multiple copies of the entire form rather then filling out the track fed premade forms.

Edited by Robert on 6/24/2010 at 9:25 PM EST

Thanks Robert for your response.

First I'm not a computer/printer expert and maybe it is not as simple as saying "You need to go out and purchase this Brand and Model printer" and my problem is solved.

It doesn't necessarily need to be an EPSON printer but because of the way we do business, my printer needs to be a form printer. When an order is processed, it prints on continuous carbonless computer paper. The orginial stays with the Supervisor and the copy goes to the Technician.

We have a consultant that we've paid $$$$$$$$ to implement ORACLE that knew (or I assumed they understood) our needs. They are saying that I will have to use a laserjet printer, make copies and staple. This will be very counterproductive. They are saying that the problem is that my orders are coming out of ORACLE in a "PDF" format. I believe they have tried as you have suggested the characters and line feeds to my old EPSON printer.

Robert, I'm just not buying it. I cannot believe that there isn't a company out there using ORACLE and using a form feed printer. I need to find that company.

J.

no actually that is the NEW way of doing things. businesses are doing away with multipart forms the same way we are doing away with checks in favor of debit cards and horse drawn wagons in favor of trucks.

most of the uses of multi part forms are to give people a manual system to easily find the work order in the office say while the technician has his copy in the field. the new system would have a copy for the technician and the home office can find the order easily on the computer. if another copy is needed another copy is printed off instantly on a laser printer.

Really it comes down to changing your business methods to work with a more efficiant system. If your consultant did not explain this to you right up front you probably did not have the right consultant. That is a key part of installing a new system is either

A. making sure that the system can work the way the company wants to work

and/or

B making sure that the company can work with the system

That being said it is possible that there is a form printer that can pring pdf files. i would think that there would be. Certainly the letter quality dot matrix printers can print bitmap images whether they will do pcl4 is another story.

I would agree with you on the technology, however in our business, changing our business model would absolutely not be more efficient. Unfortunately most of my folks do not have offices, copy machines, computers and/or printers. Everyone is out in the field.

I was so hoping that you would be able to provide me with a simple answer such as Brand & Model of a printer that would work. In fact I had a bet going that you could solve the problem when they haven't been able to. I just been frustrated with being told that our department would have to change our process which now will require more manhours and material cost. I'm just not buying it.

Thanks for trying.

J

i have done a lot of consulting work. and unfortunately this is one of the reasons you pay a consultant. but too many of them are not actually consultants working for you they are trying to sell the software they represent. i just heard about a medical group that switched systems and somehow they never tested that the new invoicing form would be accepted by their insurance providers. they had over a million dollars in unpaid bills due to the delay and actually had to borrow money from the town to make payroll one week.

it sounds like your office is not ready for a move to this type of software. you have to either go the whole hog and give everybody that needs access a computer or you need a system that works within your companies parameters

i am sure that it is possible to get a form feed printer to print a pdf document but going through oracle that i am not sure about. obviously it is some sort of proprietary software written with oracle. if it demands pcl4 i dont think you are going to find it. but it may not need it. if you can send the form as a bitmap or other graphic you should be able to find any number of printers that will do the job.