Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

remove back log jams in my HP Photosmart C4680

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/24/2010
Technician: Freddy M., Technician replied 8 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Step one: Remove any loose paper from the tray
Remove any loose sheets of paper from the input tray and the output tray.
CAUTION: Do not remove jammed paper at this stage. Trying to clear jammed paper from the front of the product can damage the print mechanism.
Step two: Clear the jam from the back of the All-in-One
CAUTION: Never lift the front cover and pull jammed paper out from the inside the HP product if you can pull it from the back of the HP product or the paper tray. Pulling paper from inside the front cover can cause mechanical damage to the HP product.
  1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn off the product.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Press in the tab on the left side of the rear access door to release the door. Remove the door by pulling it away from the product.
    Figure 2: Remove the rear access door
    Illustration of removing the rear access door
  4. Gently pull the paper out of the rollers.
    CAUTION: If the paper tears while removing it from the rollers, check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the product. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the product, more paper jams are likely to occur.
    Figure 3: Check the product for bits of torn paper
    Photograph of torn paper in the rollers
  5. Reattach the rear access door. Gently push the door forward until it snaps into place.
    Figure 4: Reattach the rear access door
    Illustration of reattaching the rear access door
Step three: Clear the jam from the front of the All-in-One
Follow these steps to remove the paper jam from the front of the product.
CAUTION: Remove the paper carefully. If the paper tears, part of it might remain inside the paper path and damage the product. Carefully remove all traces of paper that you can find.
  1. Open the cartridge door.
    Figure 5: Open the cartridge door
    Illustration of opening the cartridge door
  2. Gently pull the paper out from under the front cover.
    Figure 6: Pull the paper from under the front cover
    Illustration of pulling the paper from under the front cover
    CAUTION: Slowly pull the paper out from under the front cover only as a last resort. If you can pull it from the back of the HP product or inside the paper tray, never lift the front cover and pull jammed paper out from the inside the HP product.Pulling the paper out quickly increases the chances of damaging the HP product. Remove the paper slowly .
  3. Close the cartridge door.
    Figure 7: Close the cartridge door
    Illustration of closing the cartridge door
  4. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the product.
  5. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
Step four: Print a self-test report
Print a self-test report. See the section on how to use these solutions at the beginning of this document.
    If these steps resolved the issue , and the self-test report prints , there is no need to continue troubleshooting.If the issue persists , continue with the next solution.If the self-test report does not print , continue with the next solution.
Solution two: Make sure that the carriage can move freely
Use the following steps to make sure that the carriage moves freely.
Step one: Check the carriage path
  1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on, open the cartridge door. The carriage might try to move into the access area. If so, allow the carriage to move to that position
    Figure 8: Open the cartridge door
  3. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
    CAUTION: You must disconnect the power cord to move the carriage by hand without the risk of an electrical shock.
  4. Disconnect the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.
  5. Check for any torn paper or objects that might be stopping the carriage.
    NOTE: You might need a flashlight to illuminate areas for proper viewing.
    Figure 9: Example of obstruction
    Photograph of obstruction blocking the carriage
  6. Remove any loose paper or obstructions found.
    CAUTION: If the paper tears when you remove it from the rollers, check the rollers for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the product. If pieces of paper remain in the product, more paper jams can occur.
  7. Reach inside the product, and then manually move the carriage.
      If the carriage is stuck on the right side of the product , move the carriage to the left side of the product.If the carriage is stuck on the left side of the product , move the carriage to the right side of the product.If the carriage is stuck in the middle of the product , move the carriage to the right side of the product.
  8. Make sure that the carriage can move freely across the width of the product. Firmly push the carriage to the left side of the product, and then to the right side.
  9. Close the cartridge door.
    Figure 10: Close the cartridge door
  10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  11. Plug the power cord to the power source or electrical outlet.
  12. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
Step two: Print a self-test report
Solution three: Clean the paper rollers
Follow these steps to clean the paper rollers inside the product.
Step one: Clean the rollers in the rear of the product
    Figure 11: Remove the rear access door
  4. Dampen a lint-free cloth with bottled or distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from the cloth.
  5. Press the cloth against the rollers and rotate them upward with your fingers. Apply a moderate amount of pressure to remove dust or dirt buildup.
    Figure 12: Clean the paper rollers
    Illustration of rollers in rear of product
  6. Allow the rollers to dry for 10 or 15 minutes.
  7. Reattach the rear access door. Gently push the door forward until it snaps into place.
    Figure 13: Reattach the rear access door
  8. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  9. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click “Accept”.

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back are appreciated.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01673676&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3739150