Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Epson c88+. power green light is off. paper and ink lights…

Customer Question
Epson c88+. power green light...
Epson c88+. power green light is off. paper and ink lights alternating red lights. the cartridge case is all the way to the right. I can't get it to move out so i can open the cage that contains the cartriges.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/24/2010
Technician: Colin Vincent, Engineer replied 8 years ago
Colin Vincent
Colin Vincent, Engineer

Hi there

The Error lights indicate a carriage jam on your printer.

If there is nothing obviously blocking the carriage then it's likely there is an issue with the purge unit that cleans the print heads when in the home capped position (to the right side)

The purge unit locks the head in place until the unit on and ready to print at which point it should retract and allow the head to move. It seems that your purge unit is not retracting and so the carriage remains locked.

There a are generally 2 reasons why that happens

1. Sometimes the mechanism that retracts the purge unit can get out of sync with the print head and lock it when it shouldn't. The purge unit can be manually moved if the printer is stripped to gain access and the problem is solved.

2. The purge unit mechanism is damaged. and cannot retract.

So sounds like there is no way to manually move it into place, so i can gain access to the cover, remove cartridges, clean heads, etc? Is it permanently stuck there?

Because the purge/capping mechanism is tucked under the print head carriage when it is parked then there is no real access to it with the printer still assembled.

Trying to force it back in situ would likely just break something as it's mostly plastic.

When we have them with this issue for repair we dismantle the printer and manually turn the mechanism to retract the purge unit and release the print head.

usually if there is no damage then that is enough to fix the issue. So it is fixable but only really by someone that knows what they are looking for.

Thanks for your time. However, i saw a very small leve at the very bottom back of the cartridge cage. Pushing it back allowed me to move the cage out so i can pull the cartridges out. In any case, after removing cartridges and cleaning, to no avail, i'm tossing it.

I will not be paying as what i was looking for from you was how to get the cage from being stuck in the right corner being inaccessible.

thanks.
Btw, i just went to Epson site. They have a printer reset utility. Apparently, after so many head cleanings, it goes into service mode, because it thinks that the ink waste pad has taken as much as it can. People go on to talk about that it's just not worth getting this replaced as it's costly, and the printer is probably at the end of it's life. However, the ink waste pad has a lot of room for absorption, so you can just use the utility at epson to reset the printer. People have tons of questions but no real answers to "alternate red flashing lights", people saying that paper or other objects are jamming it, heads are dirty and requires manual cleaning. I've heard it all, but for some reason, i could not find a solution at all, and was thought it was actually dead, but epson surely had a way to do it freely for the users to download this utility.

So add this to your aresenal next times somebody comes in with this same problem, same printer. This utility works for a lot of epson printers, however.

I have the utility here but when the ink pad is full is doesn't lock the carriage is just gives a light sequence error (different to yours) and prevents printing.

The pad is also cleanable in water so does not need to be the end of the printer. unless maybe at Epson labor rates.

it's called protection mode to prevent ink overflow. All of the inkjets have it from all of the brands.