Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an HP 8500 which is one year old. The problem is it…

Customer Question
I have an HP 8500...
I have an HP 8500 which is one year old. The problem is it tells me there is a paper jam but there is no paper in any area of the unit. I need help

Chuck Taylor
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/23/2010
Technician: Sowrav D., Engineer replied 8 years ago
Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

Can you please let me know the full message that you can see on the printer?
paper jam:
As you have already tried the steps I will request you to try the steps one more time and let me know if the problem resolved or not.

Clear the paper jam from the rear of the All-in-One
CAUTION: Never pull jammed paper from the front of the product. If you can pull it from the rear of the product or the tray, always try the rear first. Pulling paper from inside the front cover can cause mechanical damage to the product.
  1. Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the product.
  2. Press the Power button to turn off the product.
  3. Press in the buttons on the sides of the two-sided printing accessory (duplexer), and then remove the duplexer by pulling it away from the product.Figure 1: Remove the duplexerPhotograph of pressing buttons and removing duplexer1 - Press the buttons on the sides of the duplexer2 - Pull the duplexer out of product
  4. Gently remove any jammed paper or bits of torn paper from the rollers inside the product. Use both hands to pull out any whole sheets of paper to avoid tearing them.Figure 2: Remove the jammed paperPhotograph of removing jammed paper
    CAUTION: Use a flashlight to thoroughly check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the product. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the product, more jams are likely to occur.
    Figure 3: Remove scraps of paperIllustration of removing scraps of paper
  5. If you do not see jammed paper in the rear access area, push the buttons on the latch on the back of the duplexer, and then lower the cover. Figure 4: Open the duplexerIllustration of opening the duplexer1 - Latch on the back of the duplexer2 - Duplexer cover
  6. Remove any jammed paper from inside the duplexer.
  7. Close the duplexer cover
  8. Gently push the duplexer into the product until it snaps firmly into place. Do not press the buttons on the end of the accessory while you are reattaching it.Figure 5: Reinsert the duplexerIllustration of reinserting the duplexer
Step three: Clear the jam from the front of the product
  1. If the product is not turned off, press the Power button to turn off the product.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Without opening the cartridge access door, raise the lid of the input tray and check for jammed paper.Figure 6: Lift the output trayIllustration of raising the output tray
  4. If you see jammed paper, gently pull it out.
    CAUTION: Carefully remove paper from the front of the product. Pulling too hard on jammed paper can damage the print mechanism.
  5. Close the output tray.
  6. Open the cartridge access door, and then check for any jammed paper inside the product.Figure 7: Open the carriage access doorIllustration of opening the carriage access door.
  7. Remove any jammed paper in the product.
    CAUTION: Remove paper from the front of the product as carefully as possible. If any torn pieces of paper remain inside the product, more paper jams are likely to occur, and this might damage the print mechanism. Use a flashlight to make sure that you find all traces of paper.
  8. Close the cartridge access door.
  9. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  10. Press the Power button to turn on the product.

Source:HP Support
I have done all of these things there is no paper or parts of paper in the printer I have turned the printer on and off several times disconnected the card nothing seems to work
Ok
If the error still does not clear then the problem is with the paper sensor of the printer (actually there is a small lever that helps the printer to detect the jam and when it is loose or misplaced the printer show this error thinking that paper is jammed.)and you have to repair the printer.