Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Canon printer MP830 has error code 6A00. No info in users…

Customer Question
Canon printer MP830 has error...
Canon printer MP830 has error code 6A00. No info in user's guide.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/23/2010
Technician: Tom K, Asst. Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Tom K
Tom K, Asst. Information Systems Manager

The 6A00 error message on most Canon printers usually indicates the printer needs to be sent in to Canon for repair. The error message indicates an issue with the purge unit which is located to the right of the printheads movable area.

Normally Canon services these issues, and if you do not feel up to doing the work yourself you can locate a service center here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=238&modelid=12804

Otherwise, there is at least one proven fix to this error, however it does require a bit of work and trial and error.

There are three things to look for:

1. Check for a paper jam around the printhead and purge unit.

2. Check to see if there is a build up of ink on the purge unit.

3. There are two plastic wipers inside the purge unit which could be loose or missing. Check to see both the wipers are located there and if they are not they may be stuck somewhere in the purge unit of the printer itself.

In most cases it seems to be the 2nd thing I mentioned, ink build up on the purge unit that is causing the problem. In that case try these steps:

1. Turn off the printer and unplug it

2. Move the printhead to the left

3. Have Windex and some long Q-tips available

4. Using the Q-tips and Windex, clean any ink build up around the purge unit including what should be a small white plastic spring loaded lever

5. There should be two sponges there too, dampen those with the Windex fairly well and clean them

6. Be careful not to knock any parts loose. If you do just replace them the best you can

7. After cleaning everything the best you can, make sure everything is in its correct place, give the unit a moment to dry out any excess fluid, and turn back on and try again

I am required to post this as an answer, but please only click on Accept Answer if this helps with the printer issue and you will leave positive feedback. Otherwise, please do not click on Accept Answer and post back here so we can find a better solution.