Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Dell 3130cn and it has started to print yellow dots…

Customer Question
I have a Dell 3130cn...
I have a Dell 3130cn and it has started to print yellow dots on each page. We have been to the diagnosis menu and performed the relevant tests and it has confirmed that we have pitch problems. What it doesn't tell us is how to solve it?
Please can you help.
Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/21/2010
Technician: Tom K, Asst. Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Tom K
Tom K, Asst. Information Systems Manager
Can you open the printer and remove the yellow toner container?
Yes
With the yellow toner container removed, can you find where the toner is dispensed from? Wipe the entire exterior of the toner container from any excess yellow toner that is on the container. Re-insert the toner cartridge and let me know if the printer still prints with yellow dots.
Done that and still printing yellow dots.

Are the yellow dots uniform across the page or do they show up as random blotches of toner?

They are uniform

Ok the issue you are experiencing is caused by either a faulty toner cartridge or a faulty fuser.

Do you have a spare yellow toner cartridge we can test with?

Unfortunately not. They are £100 each.

Although I am guessing you do not, do you happen to have a spare fuser for the printer also?

Nope, you are right! Not looking good eh. I'll order both now and get back to you for further advise.

Ok, according to Dell the issue lies within either the fuser or the toner cartridge. In this case because the spots are appearing yellow, I would say the toner cartridge is the root of the problem and to try replacing that first in case you do not need the fuser replaced.

However, if you do not mind purchasing both, you'll at least have both effected parts in case just replacing one or the other does not work.

I am posting this as an answer, but please only click on Accept Answer if this sufficiently answers your question and you will leave positive feedback. Otherwise, please do not click on Accept Answer and post back here so we can find a better solution.