Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an HP L7680. The black ink is internittent. If you shake…

Customer Question
I have an HP L7680...
I have an HP L7680. The black ink is internittent. If you shake the ink or the printhead it will print for a page and then stops. It is as though the ink just isn't getting through. The diagnostic page prints (in magenta) that everything is OK. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/21/2010
Technician: Robert Preston, Technician replied 8 years ago
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Robert Preston :

Hello

Robert Preston :

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over. If for some reason it does not follow these instructions:
(a) Unplug the printer
(b) Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Customer:

With this printer there's the print head (HP88 I think) in one unit - there are two - the problem one is the black/yellow. Then there's the cartidge unit where the cartridges slot in. Do I clean the print head unit which has a kind of strip - or the round metallic piece where the cartridge slots in?

Robert Preston :

You want to clean the area underneath where the print cartridges sit inside of the machine