Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

typwriter model AX-10 The ribbon is too high to contact print

Customer Question

typwriter model AX-10
The ribbon is too high to contact print letters
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 years ago.
I would advise you to first of all examine the cartridge and make dead sure that it is the right kind / # XXXXX your typewriter model - e.g. by comparing it with the last one that worked in it, if that is available.
Then, look at the underside of the cartridge, and make sure nothing is jammed in it or bent / broken about it that would block it from fitting in completely - that might be the problem.
(And yes, if you have a cartridge that did fit in and work with it, it might be a good idea to see if it still fits into its space properly and fully.)
Then, look at the place where it fits into the machine - anything bent awry there that is impeding a cartridge of proper type from fitting it fully, settling down into its place?

(Get back to me with whatever you find out, and I will reply with more help for your problem.)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

COULD FIND NO JAMMING AND NOTHING BROKEN.

W HAVE NOT REPLACED RIBBON

HELP

WE DO NOT HAVE THE INSRUCTION BOOK

Your ribbon (according to my information) should either be a # XXXXX or a # XXXXX Check that.

The manual for the Brother AX-10 is not available nor listed at the Brother USA Support web site - perhaps your typewriter is a UK product... the closest found was the AX-20 model (cited in case it's of any use ???: http://www.brother-usa.com/manuals/default.aspx?PGID=10&R3ModelID=AX20 )

The Brother UK Support site has no manuals listed for AX-10 (or other similar) typewriters.

I would advise you to try getting a new ribbon cartridge, and putting it in the typewriter. That may solve your problem, particularly if the ribbon has already been in use for some time.

If this answers your question, then please click once on Accept for my Answer. (Only then will I be paid, by deduction of my share from the funds already deposited by you with JustAnswer. Thanks.) And, favorable feedback is appreciated.
(If this answer is still in any way inadequate, just ask for further details and I will try to get the right and complete answer to you.)

( If you want to find a service center for a Brother UK product, you may use this online resource:
http://www.brother.co.uk/g3.cfm/s_page/204570 )